• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate advice for really short term contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because of the kind of stuff I do, I get these. I charge former clients double my usual rate for anything less than 30 hours, 150% of my usual rate for less than 50 hours. I have several clients on retainers that cover this kind of thing, though. These higher rates would be for a client who had been offered a retainer and had declined it -- they made their decision.

If it were a completely new client and I thought it might be a good relationship to build, that would be different. I might offer my standard rate. I might even give them a discount, if I want to get my foot in the door, with the usual, 'To be clear, you'll never see this rate again, this is just me giving you a chance to see what I can do.'

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
      Because of the kind of stuff I do, I get these. I charge former clients double my usual rate for anything less than 30 hours, 150% of my usual rate for less than 50 hours. I have several clients on retainers that cover this kind of thing, though. These higher rates would be for a client who had been offered a retainer and had declined it -- they made their decision.

If it were a completely new client and I thought it might be a good relationship to build, that would be different. I might offer my standard rate. I might even give them a discount, if I want to get my foot in the door, with the usual, 'To be clear, you'll never see this rate again, this is just me giving you a chance to see what I can do.'
      Thanks

Comment

If he was previously employed as a Contractor, take his average day rate and divide into hours and multiply by the number of hours planned. If employed as a permie do the same calculation from an average annual salary. i'd look at a one off invoice for the total work done also
        Maybe add on 10% as it's a short term job.
        We got the Oystons out like we said we would

Comment

If it’s just for 15 hours max then I’d at least double my normal hourly rate.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Don't mess about with rates, that just introduces complexity. I would go (and have gone, several times) with a one off cost for the whole exercise plus expenses,, billed on completion.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Yes I echo above, for 15 hours, you do not want to be quoting yourself in terms of time and materials. Firstly, the two things are not in anyway comparable, and so you don't want to give them an opportunity to compare like for like against say their normal hourly rates.

Better to quote a fixed price for the job with a slightly ambiguous estimate. E.g. if I think it's going to take 15 hours, I'll round up to 20 and then tell the client it will take roughly 3-4 days.

As for how much to charge, that's up to you to decide, it really depends on business specifics.

But for me, I do routinely do small run jobs like this, I would quote around 250% of my daily rate calculated against my rounded up figure of 20 hours. This is to account for pre-sales, tooling up, post-sales... all the work involved which the client never see's but which their payments have to cover to keep my business profitable.
              Last edited by dogzilla; 15 July 2019, 19:28.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Don't mess about with rates, that just introduces complexity. I would go (and have gone, several times) with a one off cost for the whole exercise plus expenses,, billed on completion.
                +1

What problem is being solved and what is the value to the customer?

What is the urgency?

The hourly rate is not relevant in this case unless it is a can of worms with multiple touchpoints and 3rd party dependencies.

Comment

Working...
                X