• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice sought..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP they are playing you find something else the gravy train is ending soon and huge sigh of relief from you no IR35 issues (although that can change later!).

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkings View Post
      You're right. Deep down, I've become a contractor who thinks like a perm.

Time to go.
      Yup. Be prepared for a hell of a shock with the market. Times have really changed.

Best of luck and be prepared that even the terminology for your skills that you need to put in your CV may well have changed.

Comment

You're right. Deep down, I've become a contractor who thinks like a perm.

Time to go.
        Kudos to you.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
          even the terminology for your skills that you need to put in your CV.
          Change the following

Servers = cloud
          Systems analyst = Architect
          Programmer = Engineer

Never mention being a project manager of any kind, that role is now retired

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Keep invoicing for as long as possible.

Client co gets rid of you: find another client.

Keeping invoicing for as long as possible.

Rinse, repeat.

You get the picture.

Good luck.

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

OP - don't sweat it. It'll happen or it won't - no-one knows.

I've had gigs that I thought were safe for years and been binned with one weeks notice. I've also had gigs that I thought would be 3 months max and its lasted years.

That's how it work. Out of your hands....
              Last edited by psychocandy; 17 July 2019, 14:16.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Hi
                I'm looking for a spot advice from other contractors, I would be very grateful for any offered.

I've enjoyed a long term contract with a one client for 3 years. Throughout that time I have completed a number of specific development (coding) IT projects. I've generally been very happy there, have kept out of politics, got the job done and been regarded as such. Yes, I've been very lucky.

Without going into too much detail, the company in question (a retail bank), has recently undergone a massive organisation change. The relevant point is that middle managers are being mostly made redundant, with the work being done by lower grade employees relying on new organisational processes to ensure business service is maintained. The middle manager I've reported to for the last year or so has always been upfront with me and we've assured each other that if one part wishes to end the engagement more than standard notice will be given. However, it's clear he's role is under threat.

A few days ago an immediate colleague took me to one side and informed me that this manager had told her that he was thinking of not renewing my contract and could she (my colleague do my role). When I discovered this I was, to be honest, shocked and disappointed as I thought I had a good working relationship with this manager. I confronted said manager, and he denied there was intention not to renew, but stopped short of denying what he had said.

Two days later, I was taken to one side by another manager (main manager has gone on holiday) and told there was every intention of a renewal being offered (Late Aug). Obviously nothing will be written down (as always, until last minute with renewals).

So I'm getting very mixed messages with regard to the client's intention to renew. Obviously, I will assume the worst and start looking immediately, and in response to what I was told by mgr 1, I've been honest and said I will have to assume the worst until I have written confirmation.

However as we know, looking for other roles is very time consuming and as I'm not a spring chicken the number of suitable roles isn't what it once was. I'm cautious about over-reacting to tittle-tattle.

One other aspect, the manager wanted me to help tech interview a candidate for the team recently. I said I was happy to, now they've decided I shouldn't be involved. The candidate is strangely not suitable for the advertised role, but is for the specific project I've been working on recently, a new system which has been received very well by the business.

So, my question is, should I really assume the worst, or just ignore it? My gut feeling is the axe is falling, tbh, given they've recruiting a perm onto the team (it was a done deal, a referral). Should I try and force their had and ask for a renewal now, or indicate I may by late Aug be unable to renew (due hopefully having found something else). I'm also not keen on sticking around and suffering a death by a thousand cuts whilst I'm instructed to train up a perm replacement, yes, professional pride is kicking in there I guess. Perhaps I'm at fault for feeling like that?

I just wish they'd be honest and come clean with their intentions so both parties know where they stand.

A conversation about going perm was underway earlier in the year, but now I've been told they have no headcount (despite the recruitment underway being for a perm?).

Sorry for the long post, but would appreciate a second opinion. It just seems a confusing mess to me.

D.
                Smacks of permietractor mindset to me. Your role is underthreat, bottom line. You either continue working until you're official told or look to go early.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  Change the following

Never mention being a project manager of any kind, that role is now retired

I wonder what replaced it, if indeed it ever needed replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                    I wonder what replaced it, if indeed it ever needed replacing.
                    No idea. But GoT has been proclaiming his status as a PM for several years now...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      No idea. But GoT has been proclaiming his status as a PM for several years now...
                      Indeed, no one seems to care what’s happening next month/qtr/year these days current and next sprint are the maximum timelines that now exist

Comment

Working...
                      X