• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Misrepresentation in "selling" a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whumpie View Post
    My view is that, even if the lawyer says I have a strong case, I don't use it unless I need to. If I walk into a new role quickly, I'll just politely point out that they need to be honest about role lengths in future (they're nice people who did a silly thing - they'll appreciate that) and leave it at that.
    I'm absolutely sure they won't give a flying monkeys and will be glad to see the back of you.

What would you have done if they hadn't given you notice and just asked you not to come in for the remainder of the 6 months?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Someone said "it probably should have only been a 4 month contract", and you are breaking out a 10 page thread, lawyers etc

I get the sentiment of not wanting to "bend over" to companies, but it all seems a bit over the top to me for something that was probably a fast decision by a couple of people "Hey project manager, how long do we need someone for? Maybe 4 months, why not make it 6 months to be sure".

OP - are you American?

Comment

No, not American - but also not one to just bend over and take a shafting when the law is there to protect us from bad practice. In this case it's not particularly nasty on its own - but hirers have a duty of care and unless they realise their moral and legal responsibility in their actions we can expect things for contractors to get worse. There is no fortitude or bravery in just walking away; that exacerbates the problem for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I'm absolutely sure they won't give a flying monkeys and will be glad to see the back of you.

What would you have done if they hadn't given you notice and just asked you not to come in for the remainder of the 6 months?
          That's kind of what giving notice is! I got a week, because they needed me to hand over to a (totally inappropriate) permie.

Comment

... nobody is surprised that it's being cut short. ...
            OK, so if you weren't surprised at it being cut short, then you must have been preparing to look for a new contract.

How long in to this contract did you first realise that it would be cut short?

"Budget" is a great get-out clause, normally given by project managers when they realise that they've messed up, or they need an excuse to get rid of someone.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

No, not American - but also not one to just bend over and take a shafting .
              I am having similar issues

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...nder-date.html

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                OK, so if you weren't surprised at it being cut short, then you must have been preparing to look for a new contract.

How long in to this contract did you first realise that it would be cut short?

"Budget" is a great get-out clause, normally given by project managers when they realise that they've messed up, or they need an excuse to get rid of someone.
                I was about to start looking for a new contract, so that I could minimise the gap when this one (potentially) ended in three months' time. I was under the impression until last week that this contract would last six months as I had been told. So I suppose one way to describe the 'damages' would be to say that it's the loss of earnings while contract-hunting. Had they not misled I would still be earning while hunting, because they fibbed, I'm no longer able to do that. Making sense?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  I am having similar issues

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...nder-date.html

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                  That made coffee come out of my nose

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Got to be fair I'm with NLUK on this one....

I can imagine the agency people laughing their heads off that a contractor has moaned that they got served notice.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I was about to start looking for a new contract, so that I could minimise the gap when this one (potentially) ended in three months' time. I was under the impression until last week that this contract would last six months as I had been told. So I suppose one way to describe the 'damages' would be to say that it's the loss of earnings while contract-hunting. Had they not misled I would still be earning while hunting, because they fibbed, I'm no longer able to do that. Making sense?

No, you're not making sense, you're trying to go back to why you think you have a case - keeping talking about how they lied, they fibbed, etc.
                      I'm trying to establish a few facts that might help.

1. You expected the contract would end early. When did you first expect that?

2. The project manager messed up, either by not knowing what was going on, or not choosing to advise you.

3. Rather than trying to find new work, you're now consumed with revenge. Wouldn't it be better looking for a new contract?
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X