• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Confidence as a Contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    If you don't mind being bored tulipless by the keyboard replacement bod.
    That joke never gets old...
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I am no longer a contractor but I worry that my software engineering career has been some kind of big misundestanding. I often think that what I do is not really that difficult and I do not seem to be able to do it to the standard I expect for myself.

Literally yesterday I had a final round interview for a perm position in London on a 6 figure salary. Looking at LinkedIn they all seemed to have first class degrees from top universities, knew technologies that I had only vaguely heard of etc. I honestly thought I was wasting everyone's time but I went in anyway expecting to be exposed.

I got through 4 separate interviews feeling out of my depth and eventually got a text from the agent telling me they liked me and the feedback was that I could not have done better and they intend making an offer once the paperwork is sorted (the guy who needs to sign it is overseas in a different time zone).

I was elated ... but I still cannot shake the feeling that it is all a misunderstanding and it will crash down around me ears at some point!
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
        I am no longer a contractor but I worry that my software engineering career has been some kind of big misundestanding. I often think that what I do is not really that difficult and I do not seem to be able to do it to the standard I expect for myself.

Literally yesterday I had a final round interview for a perm position in London on a 6 figure salary. Looking at LinkedIn they all seemed to have first class degrees from top universities, knew technologies that I had only vaguely heard of etc. I honestly thought I was wasting everyone's time but I went in anyway expecting to be exposed.

I got through 4 separate interviews feeling out of my depth and eventually got a text from the agent telling me they liked me and the feedback was that I could not have done better and they intend making an offer once the paperwork is sorted (the guy who needs to sign it is overseas in a different time zone).

I was elated ... but I still cannot shake the feeling that it is all a misunderstanding and it will crash down around me ears at some point!
        Maybe you have the right attitude and other soft skills and they know the knowledge of the tech is the easy bit. It would be refreshing if they can see past the skills for other things you bring and allow you to show them what you are truly capable of. I'd imagine they've an idea where they are going and you bring some experience to help them that you aren't aware of.

Good luck with the gig and we expect a boom in General any time soon.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          When I've had to do interviews, my attitude has always been that I need the role less than they need the work done. I've had a pretty good success rate so far and several clients like me to return which makes life much easier than having to explain what I do to an agent whose last job was as a club 18-30 rep.
          Very funny.

On interviews, my belief is that 'things' change quickly enough to make me believe it is a zero sum game. I am experienced, I offer enthusiasm, but I am open to whatever new thing they may have on the horizon.. I am a PM btw. Experienced, but never knowing it all...

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
            I often think that what I do is not really that difficult and I do not seem to be able to do it to the standard I expect for myself.
            I am similar, a lot of what I do is easy, and I feel like lots of people can do it, but I often find myself feeling pretty clueless about a lot of things (software developer for 20 years this summer, last 11 as a contractor)

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
              I am similar, a lot of what I do is easy, and I feel like lots of people can do it, but I often find myself feeling pretty clueless about a lot of things (software developer for 20 years this summer, last 11 as a contractor)
              I'm at the same gig as you as that's how we all find you as well
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I'm at the same gig as you as that's how we all find you as well

Comment

Impostor syndrome is a bit different when you're a contractor, most of my work involves being paid way too much to do way too little.

It's not usually a case of 'can I do this job?!', but 'can I really keep browsing facebook all day and keep this job?!'

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    That joke never gets old...
                    What joke?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      What joke?
                      You

Comment

Working...
                      X