• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Confidence as a Contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confidence as a Contractor

I have been contracting for about 7 years.

Most of that I felt like someone was going to tap me on the shoulder and tell me it's time to leave and it's all been an elaborate ploy.

Over the years, and moving through lots of offices, I started to realise that I kind of knew what I was talking about and could do a decent job.

In most of my interviews especially the early ones I was so keen to push my achievements and my technical skills it was exhausting.

However my latest search was completely different. I have got an ok War Chest and could use a break, but I was still getting calls.

So I decided to believe I was good at what I did and it kind of worked.

When asked about rates and working locations I was very firm but fair. I got a call about a great rate with 50/50 WFH.

I had a phone interview with the Tech chap from the client and it was totally different to any other interview I have had.

Because I was not desperate for the contract, it progressed just like a "chat", totally informal and we traded stories about awful contracts we had been on etc. It was clear that we both knew what we were talking about and he was feeling me out for team fit.

I was offered the job, and because I knew the client wanted me, played hardball with recruiter. I managed to get 100% WFH and held the rate as it was, despite intense pressure (and some blatant lies) from the recruiter trying to increase his margin.

Anyway I realise that is a bit of a wishy-washy post but I wanted to tell people who would understand

Guess I am cut out to be a contractor after all

Imposter syndrome is a real thing, you know.

It does take time to realise that what you have to offer is a tangible thing that people value. Just don't let it go to your head

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Imposter syndrome is a real thing, you know.

It does take time to realise that what you have to offer is a tangible thing that people value. Just don't let it go to your head
      7 years though?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I like to pitch myself as confident but not arrogant in interviews. Just remember once in a while you will be interviewed by someone who really don't hit it off with. In that case just forget about it and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          7 years though?
          But NLUK, I've been in IT almost 30 years now (about 15 as a contractor) and you still think I'm a cock ;-)
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            But NLUK, I've been in IT almost 30 years now (about 15 as a contractor) and you still think I'm a cock ;-)
            Yes.... I wonder why...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

But NLUK, I've been in IT almost 30 years now (about 15 as a contractor) and everyone still thinks I'm a cock ;-)
              FTFY
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That's probably because you are.

(I've heard you are a nice person in real life though. )
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It's a fine line to tread, and while I'm cocky enough to admit I've only ever had two interviews (One official where I fell out with them and argued with them, the other was a pre-chat for an internal position) which didn't result in an offer I struggle to explain quite what I do.

I definitely think there's an element of carefully treading that confidence line - in a sort of "I like the sound of this job, but I don't *need* it" kind of way, or perhaps rather, "I have plenty of options, take me or leave me" I guess.

Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    It's a fine line to tread, and while I'm cocky enough to admit I've only ever had two interviews (One official where I fell out with them and argued with them, the other was a pre-chat for an internal position) which didn't result in an offer I struggle to explain quite what I do.

I definitely think there's an element of carefully treading that confidence line - in a sort of "I like the sound of this job, but I don't *need* it" kind of way, or perhaps rather, "I have plenty of options, take me or leave me" I guess.

Congrats!
                    When I've had to do interviews, my attitude has always been that I need the role less than they need the work done. I've had a pretty good success rate so far and several clients like me to return which makes life much easier than having to explain what I do to an agent whose last job was as a club 18-30 rep.

Comment

Working...
                    X