• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Redundancy...then contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree. My redundancy deal with my last permanent gig was six months salary plus a month for every year capped a 20 years. £30k tax free plus your stock vested tax free. The coffin dodgers were taking several hundred thousand pounds plus remaining members of the DB pension scheme.

Nothing statutory about these arrangements.

Comment

What’s your skill set ??

Please don’t say project management or such like - them roles are dead

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        What’s your skill set ??

Please don’t say project management or such like - them roles are dead

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
        Import / export.

Comment

Exactly what I did, and if I had my time again I'd do it again.

You're in exactly the right position to give it a go.

Ignore people on here who tell you not to do it.
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

I was in the same position - got TUPE'd in from private company to civil service and slowly powers that be weeded us all out. I left with a redundancy payout on the Friday and started a contract on the Monday ! Civil servant 'exit' manager was besides herself...but but but...I told you I was good at my job . I skipped to my car and drove out.

So spend the time sorting your cv out
            Find an accountant
            Set up limited company etc
            Get insurance (QDOS etc)
            Bank account
            I spent my last month getting all my ducks lined up

Best move I ever made, though the worst move I made was going with a local (I mean on the same road I lived) accountant, absolute nightmare. Jumped to Gorilla after 5 months - but was hesitant in the first few months etc with a truly online accountant - but they are ace and I wasted money on a local accountant who was not upto the job (basically screwed everything up and charged me anyway!)

Get some sound financial advice - I chucked a lot of my payout into a SIPP and received a pension tax rebate from HMRC that also went into the pension.

Comment

Agree with all the comments above but would also suggest, if your circumstances allow, take a break away from work/job searching - have a holiday do some jobs around the house/garden etc. I had a mini break last year (2 months) and came back really refreshed and focused

good luck !
              We got the Oystons out like we said we would

Comment

I took voluntary redundancy then went consulting about 1.5 years ago. Voluntary was marginally above statutory, so considerably less that other numbers being discussed. I would say if you have the buffer like it seems you have give it a go, I have no regrets.

Comment

Working...
                X