• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed on international project day rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Best case scenario when you get stopped is you would be deported immediately and red-flagged from entering the US.

Worst case, they'd want to check to see if your were carrying drugs (ahem) and you'd spend a few days locked up, no contact with the outside world, then you'd get deported and red-flagged.
    Both of which I'd rather avoid yes

Comment

In the unlikely event that the visa thing can be sorted out:

Someone suggested keeping rate the same and making sure all expenses are covered well. I'd look for a rate uplift as well. It's not going to be a great lifestyle.

If it would be workable with the project, 3 days a week on site is the worst of all worlds, seems to me. It would be better to do 2 full weeks there and one week at home, rather than 3 day weeks there. You fly out on Sunday, your bride shows up Friday, you have the weekend together, then you fly back the following Friday and you have until the following Sunday at home. If it is a two month project, you could do two weeks there, one at home, two there, one at home, and two there, and you are done. That would be a lot more tolerable than flying back every weekend, especially if your wife comes out for the three weekends away.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
        In the unlikely event that the visa thing can be sorted out:
        If it would be workable with the project, 3 days a week on site is the worst of all worlds, seems to me. It would be better to do 2 full weeks there and one week at home, rather than 3 day weeks there. You fly out on Sunday, your bride shows up Friday, you have the weekend together, then you fly back the following Friday and you have until the following Sunday at home. If it is a two month project, you could do two weeks there, one at home, two there, one at home, and two there, and you are done. That would be a lot more tolerable than flying back every weekend, especially if your wife comes out for the three weekends away.
        Yes, I wanted to try a week in NYC, the next in UK, etc. But the project is being setup in a way that Mon-Wed every week are the sprint days where the teams work together in the same place. As you say, not a great lifestyle, which is why I'm considering it rather than accepting at this stage. The visa situation might well take the decision out of my hands.

Comment

Update

The client says they will get back to me by the end of this week with any progress on Visa issue. I'll update here when I learn more but potentially looks like it's not as straightforward as she thought...

Comment

Originally posted by jameslmorgan View Post
            Thanks - all hotel and flights would be covered and paid for by client directly + premium economy flights.

How do you usually handle Visa situation and how long/frequent/purpose are your trips?
            the resourcing team sort Visa for me, i just make sure i do the esta. large u.s based security software and services corporate, two days consult- four weeks design then implementation time which varies no longer than. 3 months usually. could be four times a year and then not go for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
              the resourcing team sort Visa for me, i just make sure i do the esta. large u.s based security software and services corporate, two days consult- four weeks design then implementation time which varies no longer than. 3 months usually. could be four times a year and then not go for years.
              Why do you need to register for the Visa Waiver Program when you have a visa?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                Can I ask which visa they arrange for you? And the lead time for arranging?

Also, do you mean you're there for 2 days consult then 4 weeks design in US - or is the 4 weeks in UK? If US, how often do you fly back and forth US>UK in that period?

Comment

Update

I'm still waiting for the client to get back to me regarding their legal/HR team's take on the visa situation. Am chasing but sense they didn't get anywhere either!

Comment

Originally posted by jameslmorgan View Post
                    I'm still waiting for the client to get back to me regarding their legal/HR team's take on the visa situation. Am chasing but sense they didn't get anywhere either!

I suspect it's like other clients have done in the past - someone low down the chain says it will be no problem. When you push for them to sort it out and give you it in writing, suddenly it's a problem.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

This is what my clients legal/HR team came back with:

“The answer I received is that ESTA is fine, as this is a global project (not a US project) with some of the activities and meetings located in the US (other activities in EMEA and APAC). The “value-add work” freelancers and international staff will provide will be to the benefit of our global business, not our US business. A US worker would not be able to fill the same role, because they don’t have an understanding of international markets and consumer insights.

The contract and payments would be issued by our Europe business. To make it very clear that the project is an extension of the previous work you did with us in London, we could extend your earlier contract with an addendum that specifies the importance of contributing international insights and that some of the activities will have be carried out in New York.

Comment

Working...
                      X