• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Above and beyond the call of duty!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Above and beyond the call of duty!

Hi
    I’m business analyst, have been contracting for almost 20 years. Just started a new contract - it’s government - outside IR35 - my contract states that my role is a business analyst, I can work where how and when I want to as long as I deliver the required work. However, 3 weeks in and it isn’t like that. At my interview, it was clear my role was as business analyst and I would not be micromanaged. Totally not the case. I have a permie government manager who treats me like his secretary - he bombards me with emails asking me to do things outside my role - I do about 15% of business analysis work. Anyone else out there had similar experiences - first for me.

Find yourself a new gig, give notice and leave?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Or....

suck it up and keep invoicing.
      It's government, so an incorrect IR35 status is their problem not yours.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        Or....

suck it up and keep invoicing.
        It's government, so an incorrect IR35 status is their problem not yours.
        Dob them in to the HMRC.

Comment

Quite surprised that in 20 years you've not had a micromanager. You've been very lucky indeed.

Generally it's difficult to push back against permies if they have an expectation of you that is counter to what you expect. I would look for the next gig and leave as soon as possible.

Comment

Or...

You refuse to do work outside your contract scope, or ask for an extended and revised scope that aligns to what they are asking you to do.

Or you tell them they keep to the contract scope or you will consider the contract void and go home.

Your call...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Is anyone other than the micromanager expecting any deliverables from you? If so, and especially if they are the ones that did the interview, raise your concerns and try to get the micromanager put in their place.

If you're not desperate for the money then you have the luxury of pushing back and saying those tasks are not part of your agreed contract, at the risk of being terminated. Depends how you value the money ('keep on invoicing') over doing work you want to do ('screw this I'm off').
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Do you know what? I always wondered whether my IR35 status would be affected by gnoshing off the team leader whenever he asked....
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Has happened to me

Choices:

1) It may not be what you were looking for - but is it simple? Some gigs I end up doing admin all day, it gives me time to think and money to go on holiday with. Is the tradeoff actually a positive thing in disguise?

2) Change things and 'pull in' more BA work; be the change you seek

3) Speak to them and mention leaving if you're serious

4) Leave
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Is being a BA an exact science? It seems to me from 7 years BA'ing that different companies just make up what they expect from the role on the spot....

Personally I'd suck it up and keep invoicing, but depends how badly you need the cash and how much it is bothering you.

Comment

Working...
                    X