• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Day Rate Negotiation?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day Rate Negotiation?

Any tips from the pro's on how to get a decent day rate? I have a mate who seems to be regularly smashing the £700 mark and we're in the same field. He's a bit more experienced yes, but I'm starting to feel a bit left out especially as I get better myself. Seems like a lot of recruiters want to know my 'day rate' I'm doing my best to refrain from discussing this with them however. It would be great if there was some way to gauge how much the end user is 'actually' paying and what cut the recruiter is taking.

Any thoughts? Just high ball and risk losing a gig? Probably easier to do with a big war chest.

Bit of a rabbit warren this I know...

You hit the nail on the head, you put in for a high rate and risk losing the gig. That's the decision you have to take.

No harm in starting high when you're looking and drop it if there are no opportunities. If you can't afford to wait you should just try and get a modestly better rate.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post
      I have a mate who seems to be regularly smashing the £700 mark and we're in the same field.
      You believe this? You've seen the evidence?
      He's a bit more experienced yes
      So if you compare his gigs to yours they are definitely more senior?
      but I'm starting to feel a bit left out especially as I get better myself.
      Chasing someone else rate isn't going to end well so you need to do some research and see what's out there and your skill level and re-align your own thinking.
      Seems like a lot of recruiters want to know my 'day rate' I'm doing my best to refrain from discussing this with them however. It would be great if there was some way to gauge how much the end user is 'actually' paying and what cut the recruiter is taking.
      Apart from knowing what market rate is there isn't. The client isn't paying you after all. What rate is a standard opening gambit from recruiters and I'm sure in a vast majority of cases they aren't attempting to shaft you. I'd expect (hope) they are trying to gauge whether it's worth their time progressing. If you are like your mate and say 700 quid when it's a poorly paid 400 quid rate it's not worth spending any more time. If you quote market rate and the agent has market rate on his paper then it's worth progressing and you can negotiate rate later when you are in a better position to do so.
      Any thoughts? Just high ball and risk losing a gig? Probably easier to do with a big war chest.
      Depends what you want. Even with a big warchest throwing away perfectly good gigs by overestimating your rates seems a pretty poor tactic. You'd need a very big rise to cover a months extra bench time because you couldn't be flexible.

Spend a bit of time on the job sites looking at gigs you are absolutely sure you can do, not the ones you think you could or you could have a stab and jot down the rates. Have a look at the spread and averages and then apply to what you've been getting in the past.
      There is a site called itjobswatch that scrapes the job sites and gives you a ton of stats about rates, number of roles etc but I'd take it with a large pinch of salt. What recruiters advertise rates at is often well above reality to try hoodwink people in to applying. It will also be bloated by the number of fake roles advertised for fishing. Have a look and see if anything rings true.

But forget the 700 a day. I don't think I've seen many, if any, contractors on that. I am in the NW though so maybe London is different. Either way that is a pretty exceptional rate for most of us.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

"Well I usually start at £shedloads a day depending on the role and location" was my usual line, then argue from there.

Not really looking these days, but the last few conversations have been along the lines of "I would need a minimum £xxx" and they either say they can't meet that - not a problem obviously - or we have a discussion about where we might end up. Then again, they have come to me, I haven't applied to them, which changes the relationship somewhat.

Remember the final test is always "Are you happy with what you get"... it's a risk/reward scenario!
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Remember the final test is always "Are you happy with what you get"... it's a risk/reward scenario!
          That's the salient point.

I don't care what other people charge. I know what I need to charge as a minimum and I keep an eye on the market rate so I know I'm not underselling myself.

I find that, by not being greedy and chasing the max rate at all times, I get lots of repeat business from clients and have been fortunate to work in some interesting areas. Clients paying nosebleed rates expect a heck of lot in return. I'm not willing to put that much effort into work!

Generally, you will never be content if you spend your time comparing yourself against other people. You will never have the full picture of who they are, how they got there and what they're doing.

Comment

Any tips from the pro's on how to get a decent day rate? I have a mate who seems to be regularly smashing the £700 mark and we're in the same field. He's a bit more experienced yes, but I'm starting to feel a bit left out especially as I get better myself. Seems like a lot of recruiters want to know my 'day rate' I'm doing my best to refrain from discussing this with them however. It would be great if there was some way to gauge how much the end user is 'actually' paying and what cut the recruiter is taking.

Bit of a rabbit warren this I know...
            He's probably spinning you BS on his rate!
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

700 is pretty exceptional, above 500 is a is a good rate.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Certainly for me, the answer to that is always 'it depends'. One rate doesn't always apply. So whenever an agent asks me for my rate I tell them that I'm fairly flexible on money, but obviously there's a starting point. What's the client's budget? If their budget is in the ballpark for the location I tell them I'm happy to hear more.
                If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  He's probably spinning you BS on his rate!
                  No, he absolutely is on £700. I have seen the invoices myself. He's not a dick wagger either so I'd have no reason to doubt him.

Ultimately, I'm a simple bloke with low outgoings. You wouldn't see me in a Q8 any day. I'm happy to go lower but at the same time I would hate to think I was a soft touch and missed out on that extra £100 a day because the recruiter took me for a mug.

Comment

No, he absolutely is on £700. I have seen the invoices myself. He's not a dick wagger either so I'd have no reason to doubt him.
                    The fact his letting you see his invoices would indicate he is.

So putting everything in to context, do you believe you are his peer then?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X