• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working out of contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would continue if I were you... When I was a consultant at a couple of the big five, we often our of contract, they called it, worked at risk, you seem to have reasonable reassurance that the contract will be sorted, so no need to worry about it...

Comment

Most companies have a policy that you should not be on site should you not have a contract.

Asking client to confirm this with HR used to be my first recourse.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
        Assuming you are busy and the client still needs you, tell them you aren't coming in on Monday without a new contract, don't go in on Monday, 95% you'll have a new contract by lunch time on Monday
        This. I had an agent once telling me that I should start a new gig without a contract and that one would be with me shortly. I politely explained that I would not be onsite without a signed contract. They replied that it would take a few days.

Monday 10am I had a call from a panicky agent saying, "Where are you?"
        "Where's my contract?" I replied.

It was sorted within 30 mins.
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

So they have now sent me a new contract - not bad for 5pm on a Friday. That's me signed up till Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by willendure View Post
            So they have now sent me a new contract - not bad for 5pm on a Friday. That's me signed up till Christmas.
            good stuff.

The new project is described in the Statement of Work or is it just a generic contract for a PM?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              good stuff.

The new project is described in the Statement of Work or is it just a generic contract for a PM?
              Yes, its the same really as it was before. Its a tech lead position advising to a management team, not hands on the code anymore. Pays well but after this I'm looking to get back to being hands on with the code since that is really my true talent in life.

Comment

Originally posted by willendure View Post
                Yes, its the same really as it was before. Its a tech lead position advising to a management team, not hands on the code anymore. Pays well but after this I'm looking to get back to being hands on with the code since that is really my true talent in life.
                Your true talent is what earns you the most money for the least effort...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  I have refused to turn up without a contract and have also on the last day of a contract said "I won't be in on Monday if you don't sort something before I leave today". Both times it got sorted.

Nowadays I'm a bit more relaxed but would still ask for an assurance in writing that work continues as per the original terms and payment will not be withheld if the usual evidence (approved timesheets, etc) are provided. I would also be inclined to set a deadline, as NLUK implied, 10 days is a bit of a long time to change a couple of dates on a template document.

Working at risk is something no employee has to do....
                  I tend to go with the former. If I'm not covered by a contract, I'm not on site. I'll be as helpful as I can with the client and agency, providing them with ample notice and numerous reminders when my contract is up, but I'll not be on-site or working if it expires.

Nowadays I'm a bit more relaxed but would still ask for an assurance in writing that work continues as per the original terms and payment will not be withheld
                  Surely that "assurance in writing" is a contract, no? If the client has the time and inclination to put something in writing, they've also got the time and inclination to sort out the written contract. Larger clients have entire departments dedicated to this, so there's really no excuse.

Comment

No contract, explain to client I'm unavailable due to being unable to be on site. I point out insurance would not cover any work provided and equally that, should I suffer an accident on site it would cause lot of problems their side.

Points of contact are usually at the level low enough to fully understand company processes are slow / messed up so have no problem with that.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                      I tend to go with the former. If I'm not covered by a contract, I'm not on site. I'll be as helpful as I can with the client and agency, providing them with ample notice and numerous reminders when my contract is up, but I'll not be on-site or working if it expires.

Surely that "assurance in writing" is a contract, no? If the client has the time and inclination to put something in writing, they've also got the time and inclination to sort out the written contract. Larger clients have entire departments dedicated to this, so there's really no excuse.
                      I should have said that I'm more relaxed depending on the client! Current one I'm happy to work at risk for a few days but there's others I won't. Not because they're bad payers but just simply because they're not to be trusted and are likely to change their mind/change the rate.

Agree that the something in writing should be a contract but sometimes it's more likely the director emailing to say they will approve any PO coming through and then it's just a case of the cogs turning internally.

Comment

Working...
                      X