• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Day rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
    The office hours are set at 8.30 to 5.30....with an hour for lunch...then travel is adding on a fair bit of time....much longer than anticipated
    Is that in the contract?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
      Is that in the contract?
      The contract states 8 hours work; and the office working hours are 8.30 to 5.30...coming in later and staying later not an option as I’d need a set of keys to lock up etc. That’s the regime as such and if I start saying I’ll set my own hours don’t think it will go down well!

Comment

Sounds like you work in a shop

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Sounds like you work in a shop
          Plenty of places operate core hours. Sounds like that place is probably a small business, not necessarily able to be as flexible.

No real problem aligning my hours to match client hours where possible, found that most of my gigs require additional communication around domain knowledge, requirements anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
            Plenty of places operate core hours. Sounds like that place is probably a small business, not necessarily able to be as flexible.

No real problem aligning my hours to match client hours where possible, found that most of my gigs require additional communication around domain knowledge, requirements anyway.
            Yes it’s a small business...!! And not able to be that flexible..

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
              Yes it’s a small business...!! And not able to be that flexible..
              Keep a close eye on your working practices. Very easy to become part of a team and do whatever needs to be done in very small organisations.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Is a commuter bike not an option? Something like a CB500F that you can buy and then sell for the same price.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Keep a close eye on your working practices. Very easy to become part of a team and do whatever needs to be done in very small organisations.
                  Thanks northernladuk that’s spot on...I’ve not worked in small organisations before and I’m quickly getting that impression

Comment

Always check how many hours in a day, my contracts either outright say rate £xxx based on 7.5 hours/day or they just say £xxx and I ask beforehand what the permies do, and base my hours to match.

I never do 9-5 though I always check flexibility is acceptable. I keep a timesheet and make sure it adds up to 35 or more or whatever at the end of the week, and bill for 5 days.

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
                      Always check how many hours in a day, my contracts either outright say rate £xxx based on 7.5 hours/day or they just say £xxx and I ask beforehand what the permies do, and base my hours to match.

I never do 9-5 though I always check flexibility is acceptable. I keep a timesheet and make sure it adds up to 35 or more or whatever at the end of the week, and bill for 5 days.
                      It’s small and they expect everything and more ...think am going to knock this on the head....too much grief and life’s too short

Comment

Working...
                      X