• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Contract Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Contract Question

Hi

need some advice please...

i am currently working on a short term contract, i got another one and have accepted the offer... after i handed my notice in, my current contract now say they want me to stay and have offered me the same money and to extend for 6 months......

whats the best way to turn down the other contract that i accepted (terms state in the first 2 weeks i can give 0 days notice to terminate)

i dont want to get on the bad side of the agency, does this happen all the time ?

thanks in advance

Negotiate more money to stay with the current contract, Then tell the agency as soon as possible that you've had a better offer.

But I'd take the new contract, unless there was something that I really didn't like. Tell the your client that you sadly must decline their offer, but you'll be free again in x months.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Negotiate more money to stay with the current contract, Then tell the agency as soon as possible that you've had a better offer.

But I'd take the new contract, unless there was something that I really didn't like. Tell the your client that you sadly must decline their offer, but you'll be free again in x months.
      are you saying stay where i am with the upgraded day rate and tell the other Agency that offered me the new role that i am turning it down ?

Comment

Originally posted by brooky View Post
        Hi

need some advice please...

i am currently working on a short term contract, i got another one and have accepted the offer... after i handed my notice in, my current contract now say they want me to stay and have offered me the same money and to extend for 6 months......
        For starters I would have been working closer with the client and would have a view on the possibility of more work. You should do this as a rolling exercise so you know where you are for exactly these reasons. Not 100% guaranteed as there are many other factors involved but you should have a view on the work coming and if the client can resource them or not.

I'd have also gone back to the client to offer them the chance to match it before I took it as well.

As a contractor you run a business and that includes managing your clients and stakeholders. Just being a bum on seat and being ignorant of what is going around you is permie-tractor territory. Your job is being a contractor, keeping clients happy, gaining work, being on the best rate. The work at the clients desk is the easy bit, even the permies can do that.
        whats the best way to turn down the other contract that i accepted (terms state in the first 2 weeks i can give 0 days notice to terminate)
        Not sure why you are askings this. How about the truth?
        i dont want to get on the bad side of the agency, does this happen all the time ?
        thanks in advance
        That's tough, taking gigs and giving back word on them is going to hack the client off. Wouldn't it you if it was the other way around. Can't polish a turd I am afraid. You've got more money but don't want to deal with a bit of tough business. Won't matter in the long run but you'll probably get a pretty pissed of agent threatening you with all sorts. Grow some and brush it off.

It happens enough but there is no need for it to in many cases if the contractor handles it better.

IMO I'd be tempted not to stay with your existing client just on the basis they've not respected me enough to pay a decent rate BUT I probably wouldn't let the principle get in the way of picking the best gig. I'd pick the one I'm most interested in and has the (potentially) longest legs, which comes back to my point about knowing where you are with the client at any point in time. Is the 6 months realistic? Will it be good work and potention for more. Will the newer gig have the potential for more work (you should have investigated this in the interview).

Handing notice in to clients is OK in the odd time. Just to rate hope constantly is a bit piss poor IMO. Do what you can to improve your gig first before ditching clients and agents.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How much do you trust your existing client? What's to stop them just giving notice so you finish at the previous contact end date?

Comment

Current short term contract was covering sickness, guys going to be off longer hence contract extension, client only just found out around the same time i handed my notice in, i agreed a lower rate to start with as i knew it was short term and sometimes you have to accept a lower rate to keep the money coming into the business

now they need me for longer i negotiated the same rate that the potential new client offered me

potential new contract no chance of extension... back filling permy staff that have seconded to another project team

existing contract potential longer legs and more interesting work....

i guess ill have to grow a pair and take the flack when i pass on the potential new client

Comment

All this back filling can't be good for Ir35. Can't see how a client can determine a role like that outside and they are going to have doing that in coming months so even ignoring the Ir35 position you are in now any potitial legs these gigs have could disappear in the very near future.

What exactly do you do?
              Last edited by northernladuk; 7 August 2019, 12:20.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                All this back filling can't be good for Ir35. Can't see how a client can determine a role like that outside and they are going to have doing that in coming months so even ignoring the Ir35 position you are in now any potitial legs these gigs have could disappear in the very near future.

What exactly do you do?

2nd/3rd line desktop support

Comment

Originally posted by brooky View Post
                  2nd/3rd line desktop support
                  Oh dear. You are aware of April 2020 aren't you?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Oh dear. You are aware of April 2020 aren't you?

yes.... its not happened yet has it...

whats with the "oh dear"

Comment

Working...
                    X