• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Walk away from "safe" contract to perm startup without immediate progression?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    In what way will a title/role mitigate against being "stuck earning 35% less reporting into a contractor on a lot more than me, where the firm hasn't been able to convert that role to perm for whatever reason."

A job title is just a bunch of letters/words. I'd be inclined to try get something written into the contract of employment.
    Job Titles ARE Important – Career Conservatory

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Firstly you are going perm, different beast to contracting in many ways so can't really call it converting. Secondly you are going in to a micro company so there will be little structure or process.

You can't go round being miffed off. What they earn is none of your business. You've just got to negotiate the best option that you are happy with, sign up and get on with it, warts n all.

You certainly can't expect to be put on your way at a micro company either. They won't be big enough to guarantee it. They wan't profitable bums on seats and that's it for now. The upside is you will get really good exposure of the entire lifecycle, you've got the chance to influence the work and improve it, it's going to be hard and fast but if it pulls off good fun and you'll learn a lot more. If you can prove something will make money they will let you do it so you've a chance to shape your own career.

Only you know if you can deal with that and not be miffed off. It's not always about the money, there are other opportunities. And remember it's not for ever. You don't like it then you leave. At worst you do like a year and bail with all your new experience. I've been on gigs as much as 550 and as low as 375 so a 35% swing within contracting. I'd do that rate again if it the benefits made it worth it.

At the end of the day you could also spend 2, 3 or more months on the bench and there is a 25% drop in income. Your 3 years in your own gig hasn't exposed you to the risks we face.
      Some very good points there. Thanks

Job Titles ARE Important – Career Conservatory

I was reading the above...which triggered the original thought process....

Comment

Job titles are also used as a thinly veiled way of motivating people. Easier to put 'senior' in a title than it is to give them a payrise.

I didn't read that article and maybe I should but mine and other people's job titles don't mean a jot to me. Who they are and what they do does.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 8 August 2019, 15:12.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Job titles are also used as a thinly veiled way of motivating people. Easier to put 'senior' in a title than it is to give them a payrise.

I didn't read that article and maybe I should but mine and other people's job titles don't mean a jot to me. Who they are and what they do does.
          That's my approach too. The article claims that a Job Title is important as other people's perception of you may change based on that. My response is that I'd not want to be a permie for such a company and I'd not really care if I were there as a contractor.

But I appreciate a job title is really important to some people.

Comment

I think it might have an effect, especially on non technical members of the recruitment process.

If you are hiring a software architect, then someone who's job title is "Principal Software Architect" is likely to create a better first impression than someone who's job title is "Junior Software Developer"
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
            X