• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract clauses becoming more draconian?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zerosum View Post
    Have a feeling the vast majority of contractors don't read their contracts.

They literally don't, a recruiter who took me + other contractor to the pub and they brought up how I was a pain because I argued for ages about some of the clauses they put in that were ridiculous.

They said I was really difficult to deal with because of my insistence of revising the contract.

The other contractor said "Heh I just sign whatever they give me, I don't even read it".

Not even joking.

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
      They literally don't, a recruiter who took me + other contractor to the pub and they brought up how I was a pain because I argued for ages about some of the clauses they put in that were ridiculous.

They said I was really difficult to deal with because of my insistence of revising the contract.

The other contractor said "Heh I just sign whatever they give me, I don't even read it".

Not even joking.

And to the second person's credit, they all get paid at the end of the day and they probably do see you as the difficult one.

I've had all sorts from the CEO of the company needing to talk to me about opting in and all sorts...
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

I've actually found people to be quite open to modifying contracts - I've had a handful of clauses changed or removed over the years.

And at the same time, I've definitely signed a couple of contracts after a cursory glance because some days you just want to crack on and make money.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
          And to the second person's credit, they all get paid at the end of the day and they probably do see you as the difficult one.

I've had all sorts from the CEO of the company needing to talk to me about opting in and all sorts...

On my last contract the agency basically told me either I opt out, or I don't get the contract...
          If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
            On my last contract the agency basically told me either I opt out, or I don't get the contract...
            It's a bit of a nuclear move, so tread carefully, but words along the lines of "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that - perhaps I could have a talk with [end client] and see if we can't all come to some arrangement". In other words, make it clear that you'll make it clear why the contract fails - end clients don't like being messed around and wasting time.

And normally if you call their bluff they back down anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
              I got that too, and I reminded them of the law around not making it conditional... "which obviously isn't going to happen here, right?"

Funnily enough a template was produced from somewhere and the necessary 'opt in' version of the document created

Crazy eh!
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

I got that too, and I reminded them of the law around not making it conditional... "which obviously isn't going to happen here, right?"

Funnily enough a template was produced from somewhere and the necessary 'opt in' version of the document created

Crazy eh!
                How does that work? An agency is free to enforce opt in or out as a condition of contract.

(Whether the opt out is valid is another matter)

Comment

Crazy eh!
                  Cojak wrote to BiS about this and confirmed agents are well within their rights to decide not to deal with Opt In contractors if they so wish. Its not about it being conditional it's just about their choice of engagement.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Cojak wrote to BiS about this and confirmed agents are well within their rights to decide not to deal with Opt In contractors if they so wish. Its not about it being conditional it's just about their choice of engagement.
                    I'd like to see that response if there is one available - mandating that someone 'opt' that an agency shouldn't be held to their own industry code of conduct doesn't quite pass the sniff test for me.
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

I'd like to see that response if there is one available - mandating that someone 'opt' that an agency shouldn't be held to their own industry code of conduct doesn't quite pass the sniff test for me.
                      I don't see why. It's there to protect vulnerable workers and the opt out option was created for Limited companies and highly skilled professionals who don't want to be governed by them. It was designed for us to opt out so I don't see why forcing them to engage with us as opt in should be mandated. If the agencies want to deal solely with us and there is the provision to do so why must they accept opt in?

It's slack of them I agree but they are technically following the guidelines of the legislation.

That said I've yet to see an agency opting out properly so generally you are in by default, for what good it really does you.
                      Last edited by northernladuk; 14 August 2019, 08:42.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X