• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zero work to do on contract (confused!)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Surely you haven't read the Dune series monstrosity twice?
    Multiple times. One of my all time favourites.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I have read entire novels at work before by getting a .txt version and opening it in notepad amongst a jumble of other stuff. The last one I read must have cost them around £1,000.

A fair price for the absolute soul crushing misery having nothing to do despite asking daily brings.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Multiple times. One of my all time favourites.
        How typical of a DaveB. This one's going to be a classic.

Comment

Ditto WiB above. Change to WFH as much as you can but make it clear you will be on site when needed. Then see if you can find another job that you can do alongside it.

If they have an instant messaging system that means you feel you need to be visible as 'active' all the time, buy something called a mouse jiggler and it'll stop you going to away status (best investment I ever made).

Comment

Also, if you have emails to send, make sure you send at least one around 9am and one around 5pm

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              If they have an instant messaging system that means you feel you need to be visible as 'active' all the time, buy something called a mouse jiggler and it'll stop you going to away status (best investment I ever made).
              I had no idea those existed! I'm off to buy one now :-)
              If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                I had no idea those existed! I'm off to buy one now :-)
                It's free.
                Caffeine - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thank you!!
                  If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

If you want a 'mouse jiggler' just install autohotkey and run a script like:

Code:
                    Loop 1000
                    {
                    	Send {ScrollLock}
                    	Sleep 30
                    	Send {ScrollLock}
                    	Sleep 60000
                    }
                    Every minute it presses scroll lock twice.

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                      Thank you!!
                      Obviously showing active means people will contact you and if you constantly don't reply it raises suspicion. I've seen two contractors walked for appearing to be online and never responding. Being crap in general was also a factor though. Use with caution.

A good set of speakers turn up full for when you get a notification should be enough to wake you from your slumber on the couch... Apparently..
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X