• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zero work to do on contract (confused!)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bettz View Post
    What is D&C?
    Direction and Control. It's one of the three main pillars to IR35. The others are MoO, Mutuality of Obligation, which is about not being expected or accepting any work outside the scope of the work you have been brought on to do and RoS, Right of Substitution, you can send in a suitably qualified person on your behalf.

It could be you've trouble with all three in that gig to be honest.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Psychocandy has made a career out of this.
      Those keyboards don't install themselves, you know!

Comment

OP this is usually because they have a budget to use up so your the hire to make the numbers up! Either keep billing or quit. These roles never ever offer anything much more than regular income.

Comment

To the OP, sorry didn't read all the replies above, but in the first few pages, no one suggested you should try to create your own tasks, you know what's the project about I hope, look at project plans, see any gaps, suggest and volunteer to do some work, create and be inventive in things you can do to make yourself valuable and appreciated... don't sit and wait for them to give you work, and don't quit if you can't find another role !
          And yes, improve your skills as well.

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
            I had no idea those existed! I'm off to buy one now :-)
            x2!!! Top tip!

I guessed that this would be very easy to get for free as software, but impossible or a bit dodgy to install when you have to use a client laptop...

Plus if you use you own laptop you can easily use remote access from your phone and take control over it. If you use citrix you can even log in from your phone...
            "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Obviously showing active means people will contact you and if you constantly don't reply it raises suspicion. I've seen two contractors walked for appearing to be online and never responding. Being crap in general was also a factor though. Use with caution.

A good set of speakers turn up full for when you get a notification should be enough to wake you from your slumber on the couch... Apparently..
              That's a good one too you should start a new thread just for this tips!

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                Don't have Internet access? Google Docs is pretty impressive, and nothing would be stored on their kit.
                and youtube has amazing podcasts!! Been catching up a lot with a few...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  If they have an instant messaging system that means you feel you need to be visible as 'active' all the time, buy something called a mouse jiggler and it'll stop you going to away status (best investment I ever made).

Total game changer for me.

Whenever I jiggle I shall think of LM.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Total game changer for me.

Whenever I jiggle I shall think of LM.....
                    Does this work without installing anything? I probably don't have permissions to install stuff on client laptop...

Comment

The hardware dongle is good for client machines where you can't install software...

Comment

Working...
                      X