• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zero work to do on contract (confused!)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
    Does this work without installing anything? I probably don't have permissions to install stuff on client laptop...
    Yes, it's just a usb plugin, no installation required

Comment

There are also some more imaginative ways of doing this

- Put your mouse on top of the washing machine (hint: its best if you have a wash cycle on)
      - Put catnip on your mouse and show it to your cat. If you don't have a cat, get one - its an allowable expense for tax purposes!
      - Hire someone to move the mouse for you - helps with IR35 Right of Substitution working practices too!

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
        - Put catnip on your mouse and show it to your cat. If you don't have a cat, get one - its an allowable expense for tax purposes!
        When I was looking for an accountant, one candidate advocated buying a dog (and dog food, etc) through the company. He said it was a security measure to protect company assets. He had other interesting ideas, too.

I chose a different accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Yes, it's just a usb plugin, no installation required
          As I thought... thanks!!!
          "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
            When I was looking for an accountant, one candidate advocated buying a dog (and dog food, etc) through the company. He said it was a security measure to protect company assets. He had other interesting ideas, too.

I chose a different accountant.
            Wise decision...
            "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by Bettz View Post
              I'm sorry if this is a long message - I've tried to be as clear/succinct as possible.
              Yes this is common. Been in this position a few times. No it is not entirely a ‘normal’ working environment but keep looking and keep invoicing.

it’s part and parcel of being and interim, some clients are normal, some are dysfunctional.

Comment

do some training courses udemy.com is good, and courses on all sorts there

learn some it skills and join us lot!
                Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Total game changer for me.

Whenever I jiggle I shall think of LM.....
                  Holy moly you guys astound me. Don't buy or install any mouse jiggling applications, build it in Powershell using the WASP add on module. Powershell comes pre baked in all but the most stripped of Windows installations and is transparent to monitoring systems which raise the alarm to stupid helldesk operatives when someone installs something that isn't on the "approved" list. Powershell will always be approved, because sysadmins need it to interact and automate stuff on their kit.

I'm not even a code guy and it took me about 30 minutes without any guidance!

Obviously if you're using Linux then this will not work for you. (however if you're using Linux you're probably surrounded by people who don't care for online presence monitoring either).

In terms of people messaging you when you're "online" .. Stuff some entries into your calendar for random events so your status changes fairly frequently. If it's question "sorry, I had such and such in my calendar and was doing that when you messaged" Easy, Peasy.

OP if you're still looking at this thread I know your pain and suffered through it. Train, pick up free lance work, read about investing and generating life wealth, all things that are good to keep you occupied and valuable in the long run. Or look at kitten memes - your call.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                    Holy moly you guys astound me. Don't buy or install any mouse jiggling applications, build it in Powershell using the WASP add on module. Powershell comes pre baked in all but the most stripped of Windows installations and is transparent to monitoring systems which raise the alarm to stupid helldesk operatives when someone installs something that isn't on the "approved" list. Powershell will always be approved, because sysadmins need it to interact and automate stuff on their kit.

I'm not even a code guy and it took me about 30 minutes without any guidance!

Obviously if you're using Linux then this will not work for you. (however if you're using Linux you're probably surrounded by people who don't care for online presence monitoring either).

In terms of people messaging you when you're "online" .. Stuff some entries into your calendar for random events so your status changes fairly frequently. If it's question "sorry, I had such and such in my calendar and was doing that when you messaged" Easy, Peasy.

OP if you're still looking at this thread I know your pain and suffered through it. Train, pick up free lance work, read about investing and generating life wealth, all things that are good to keep you occupied and valuable in the long run. Or look at kitten memes - your call.
                    Powershell typically requires local Admin rights to access it. Not something that users should have in a properly managed environment. If the Security guys are on the ball they will also be monitoring Powershell usage in their end point logs to pick up people messing with it.

The mouse Joggler needs no application installs or admin rights. . It's a usb stick that registers as a mouse and generates random movement inputs for you. Just remove it when you are done and no evidence left behind.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                      Powershell typically requires local Admin rights to access it. Not something that users should have in a properly managed environment. If the Security guys are on the ball they will also be monitoring Powershell usage in their end point logs to pick up people messing with it.

The mouse Joggler needs no application installs or admin rights. . It's a usb stick that registers as a mouse and generates random movement inputs for you. Just remove it when you are done and no evidence left behind.
                      Absolutely agree, there's no chance of opening a powershell or even a console on this PC at clientco, it's locked-down tighter than a camel's arse in a sandstorm.

Comment

Working...
                      X