• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"I can't tell you who the client is at the moment"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I can't tell you who the client is at the moment"

What is the point of agents holding back client names? I seem to get two types of calls - one where it's known and you might eek it out of them by the end of the call, and one where they just flat out tell you in the first sentence. What difference does it make to me to know who's hiring?

Had one agent call me up today wanting to know the full ins and outs of my last role, what I was getting paid there, why I left etc etc but when it comes to their new lead they wouldn't tell me. Based on the location and industry sector I worked it out and told them anyway, and the phone call continued as normal. But why the secrecy?

Also had the balls to email a list of questions including my last 'line manager' reference and also a list of any opportunities I'm currently pursuing and at what stage oh, Agents...
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Surely if they just tell you the client then you might hang up and contact them directly?
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Correct or other agents pose as candidates and then go in and try get a piece of the action.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Been going on for 20+ years. I just tell them that if I don't know who the client is, they can't put me forward.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Been going on for 20+ years. I just tell them that if I don't know who the client is, they can't put me forward.
          I say something similar. Along the lines of 'if I don't know who the client is I may well apply for the same position with a different agency'. That loosens the tongue, unless there is no client.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            What is the point of agents holding back client names? I seem to get two types of calls - one where it's known and you might eek it out of them by the end of the call, and one where they just flat out tell you in the first sentence. What difference does it make to me to know who's hiring?

Had one agent call me up today wanting to know the full ins and outs of my last role, what I was getting paid there, why I left etc etc but when it comes to their new lead they wouldn't tell me. Based on the location and industry sector I worked it out and told them anyway, and the phone call continued as normal. But why the secrecy?

Also had the balls to email a list of questions including my last 'line manager' reference and also a list of any opportunities I'm currently pursuing and at what stage oh, Agents...
            I had an agent call last week, who genuinely didn't know who the end client was. So I let them know who it most likely was and told them I might be interested if it was anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Exactly.

"You want to put me in front of a client, but you do not trust me yourself?", "**** off."

Comment

It's weird, because usually I can guess - a lot of companies are regulars at hiring, have similar specs and obviously the location can be a giveaway too.

I tend to withhold information, I usually say get me a job and I'll spill the beans on every lead I can think of.

Comment

They are getting sneaky, role advertised as st James was actually Barons Court to disguise the client

Comment

In 9 out of 10 times there is no client.
                    If they don't reveal the name of the end client I'm not giving my consent to submit my CV. If there is a real client they will reveal the name at that point.

Comment

Working...
                    X