• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Managed service type contract via agency?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
    That's a hell no from me. 95% of failure to meet deadlines has been due to the client ******* things up, lack of resource, direction, bad specs, delays in approval etc.
    Yes, know where you're coming from, but to my mind these are things which will be identified & risks raised at the right juncture to mitigate anticipated non-achievement of milestone(s). RAID/RAG stuff really.

I'm not a tech so spec etc. doesn't come into it, but lack of available resource, approval, non-availability of key personnel (SMEs), are all things which should be captured, particularly in pub sec organisations.

I'm a bit concerned I could be spending more time identifying, managing & reporting risk than delivering what I should be. It's a fairly senior role leading a small practice, so probably all part of the territory. Been a few years since I was last in pub sec but seems things have changed a little, & this one doesn't appear to be a 'bums on seats' type of contract role, or one where there's any slacking. Could be interesting...

The overarching contract meets 'HMG' approval, not specifically HMRC as I, incorrectly, stated earlier.
    Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
      Yes, know where you're coming from, but to my mind these are things which will be identified & risks raised at the right juncture to mitigate anticipated non-achievement of milestone(s). RAID/RAG stuff really.

I'm not a tech so spec etc. doesn't come into it, but lack of available resource, approval, non-availability of key personnel (SMEs), are all things which should be captured, particularly in pub sec organisations.

I'm a bit concerned I could be spending more time identifying, managing & reporting risk than delivering what I should be. It's a fairly senior role leading a small practice, so probably all part of the territory. Been a few years since I was last in pub sec but seems things have changed a little, & this one doesn't appear to be a 'bums on seats' type of contract role, or one where there's any slacking. Could be interesting...

The overarching contract meets 'HMG' approval, not specifically HMRC as I, incorrectly, stated earlier.
      Risky business if you ask me. I started a gig and they paid me over £3,000 before I even had a computer to log into, because they simply didn't provision one until the day I started, despite delaying my start date for a couple of weeks and knowing for over 2 months they were bringing someone onboard.

In my case, paid for scratching my balls and gossiping, but if I had money-dependent milestones I would have been going mental at the risk of it being unpaid.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
        I've not heard it before, so maybe you can give examples where you have?
        It is the only way under the PS rules HMRC will recognise an engagement as being potentially outside IR35. IF you are supplied as part of an outsource agreement with a third party to deliver a set piece of work or a defined element of it, then you may be outside IR35. Otherwise you are merely a manpower replacement and so almost certainly caught.

The question is, does the agency have a contract to deliver a set piece of work? I fear that, as usual, they are cherry-picking the bits they like and claiming to sell you in as a service provider when in reality all they have is a contract to deliver some resources to deliver a project team to the client.

Explore exactly what the agency is offering and what they are being paid for. Your deliverables-based approach is damn all use if all they are doing is body shopping under another name.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
          That's a hell no from me. 95% of failure to meet deadlines has been due to the client ******* things up, lack of resource, direction, bad specs, delays in approval etc.
          Pretty much this^^^^^^

I'd do fixed price work to payment milestones, but only if I had a lot of control. If the MSP involved is just a body shop, which it sounds like, and the 'deliverables' are just a sham I'd be very nervous.
          T&M without signed timesheets is risky as well.

The key things to me are
          - how do you prove you've delivered?
          - how do they pay? Is it T&M or fixed price per deliverable?
          - how do you get paid for work that has taken longer to deliver due to client delays?
          - if the agency is a large one, but is now doing 'MSP', is the 'line manager' (for want of a better term) the end client, or the agency?
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            It is the only way under the PS rules HMRC will recognise an engagement as being potentially outside IR35. IF you are supplied as part of an outsource agreement with a third party to deliver a set piece of work or a defined element of it, then you may be outside IR35. Yes I think this is the one

The question is, does the agency have a contract to deliver a set piece of work? I'll find out this week when I meet them

Explore exactly what the agency is offering and what they are being paid for. Your deliverables-based approach is damn all use if all they are doing is body shopping under another name. Noted
            Comments against yours.
            Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              Pretty much this^^^^^^

I'd do fixed price work to payment milestones, but only if I had a lot of control. If the MSP involved is just a body shop, which it sounds like, and the 'deliverables' are just a sham I'd be very nervous.

The key things to me are
              - how do you prove you've delivered?
              - how do they pay? Is it T&M or fixed price per deliverable?
              - how do you get paid for work that has taken longer to deliver due to client delays?
              - if the agency is a large one, but is now doing 'MSP', is the 'line manager' (for want of a better term) the end client, or the agency?
              Good points, I'll find out this week. Thanks.
              Clarity is everything

Comment

I tend to put on the services sheet that I'll 'contribute' to a given project or task. Not deliver it - way too risky!
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                  I tend to put on the services sheet that I'll 'contribute' to a given project or task. Not deliver it - way too risky!
                  that's great if you're T&M.

Not much use if the deliverable is sh1te and nobody gets paid, no matter the quality of your contribution.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    Pretty much this^^^^^^

The key things to me are
                    - how do you prove you've delivered? - PM verifies work has been done - meeting/evidence meeting with me at appropriate juncture, PM confirms to Prog Manager
                    - how do they pay? Is it T&M or fixed price per deliverable? - No, there's a contractual day rate which I've agreed with agency which runs just like a normal contract - i.e. 21 days in month = 21 days pay: get deliverables signed off/agreed as above>submit invoice end of month>cash hits bank 3 days later
                    - how do you get paid for work that has taken longer to deliver due to client delays? - if mitigating circumstances, milestone/deliverables can be deferred & don't affect the payment
                    - if the agency is a large one, but is now doing 'MSP', is the 'line manager' (for want of a better term) the end client, or the agency?'line manager' is prog manager (contractor)who ultimately reports to Board level
                    Comments against yours. Agency seems to sit between team of contractors & end client as far as I could make out...
                    Clarity is everything

Comment

I've decided to give it a shot so I'll see how things pan out. If it turns out to be a 'crock' then I'll move on.
                      Potential long term programme, deemed as outside IR35 so next years off-payroll won't impact; the work seems good, so are rates, location could be better but I can live with it as been there before.
                      On the face of it, should be a winner, especially as the market ain't great at the moment.
                      Clarity is everything

Comment

Working...
                      X