• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being offered a different role to the one you interview for

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being offered a different role to the one you interview for

Has anyone had any experience of this? Are there any alarm bells here from an IR35 point of view?

I went for an interview last week, the feedback was positive but they felt I wasn’t right for the role. They want me involved but in a different role “more suited to my background and experience”. (Same office, same rate, same hiring manager)
    Details on the “new” role are a bit sparse at the minute; the agent has said that they’re awaiting approvals before they offer it formally.

Have I just struck lucky by getting the initial interview and matching something else, or does this sound a bit dodgy?

For context, it’s a big firm and I’m definitely up for going there - I just can’t work out if there’s more to this?

What makes you think this has anything to do with IR35 so far?

There are some guides about what IR35 is on the right hand side.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I’m not sure, hence the question?

Technically I’d be doing what the client wanted me to do, rather than what I originally went there to do. It depends how far you go to protect yourself from the disguised employee tag.

Comment

Awaiting approvals = keep looking

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by ChangePM View Post

Technically I’d be doing what the client wanted me to do, rather than what I originally went there to do. It depends how far you go to protect yourself from the disguised employee tag.
          the whole 'doing what the client wants' as opposed to 'what's agreed in the contract deliverables' is completely meaningless until there's a contract.
          You need to worry aboud SDC after you've agreed the work to be done. Which hasn't been done yet.

Keep looking though. You've failed to land the role you were interviewed for. Everything else is fluff.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by ChangePM View Post

Clue... IR35 is on a contract by contract basis. Do you have a contract?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sounds like the pimp (agency) is 1) trying to pull a fast one on you and trying to reduce your rate and/or 2) you ain't got the skills but will keep you hanging on in case something else comes up.

Keep applying for other gigs.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Nothing dodgy, but not an offer yet, so keep looking.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                  Sounds like the pimp (agency) is 1) trying to pull a fast one on you and trying to reduce your rate and/or 2) you ain't got the skills but will keep you hanging on in case something else comes up.

Keep applying for other gigs.

qh
                  I read it as if the ClientCo is offering the new role, not the pimp. Which is not so far fetched.

I have been in a similar situation where during the interview ClientCo divulged they have another role for a different project that better suited my skill set, that just wasn't advertised yet. They liked me enough for both roles and gave me a choice. Same rate, more interesting project so I opted for it.

Not an issue as far as IR35 is concerned. as NLUK pointed out. It's not based on what you are interviewing for, but on what's in the contract and what you actually do once on site. If you signed the contract for role A, but once on site ClientCo asks you to do role B - this is an IR35 concern. Interviewing for role A and end up signing a contract and doing role B is a non-issue.

As per norm - keep looking until you have signed contract and your bum is on the seat at ClientCo.

Comment

Think about this way.

You went in for a business meeting to discuss an opportunity to deliver services to a client. The client knows they have more than one service requirement and, on discussing service option 1 with you, they realise that your company is better placed to deliver service option 2. You didn't pitch for it but, in discussing what your company can do, they realised it fills the other requirement they have. Therefore, they offer you the opportunity to deliver service offering 2.

Comment

Working...
                    X