• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job Sites / App for contracts in Asia / AU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job Sites / App for contracts in Asia / AU

Hi people!

I use Jobserve App which I find very good for showing contracts in UK / Ireland and a few other countries.

Can anyone recommend job app / sites for contracting in places like Singapore/Australia/US? (I am considering these)

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by jf2010 View Post
    Hi people!

I use Jobserve App which I find very good for showing contracts in UK / Ireland and a few other countries.

Can anyone recommend job app / sites for contracting in places like Singapore/Australia/US? (I am considering these)

Thanks in advance
    You need a workpermit to work in Singapore, Australia or US. Presuming you have a UK passport but that does not allow you to work in those countries. The agencies will not show interest in you if you don't have work permit. If you are looking for permanently relocation to Aus/Kiwi then if your skillset is niche you might be sponsored by your prospective employer.

Comment

I get the odd ping from Gulf Talent about roles in that area but don't look where you mention.

I think you first need to understand how contracting works in those countries first so you aren't looking for something that doesn't exist.

Shouldn't take long to try understand if they've got a contracting market and if it's even accessible to a standard UK contractor. The US I believe has a very different approach and with problems with visa's it possibly not a market you can just pile in to from a jobsite. That said, I don't really know, just going of posts from people struggling with it here.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

NLUK is spot on about understanding the contracting market.

I have contracted in all 3 of these countries.

There are 2 key questions:
        • What passport do you hold?
        • Do you have a rare skill, and if so what is it?

For example, when I was contracting in the US, I was specialized in VSAT (Symbol security specifically) for a satellite provider based in Luxembourg. Pretty specialized stuff and with the clout of IBM as clientcos US partner to sort out visa issues.

With 52 states you are at the back of a very long list of people who don't need an H1B. STEM is huge in the US, competition is fierce and most of the 65000 H1Bs I would imagine are used by Google & the like to import people from India.

Australia - get sponsored in as a perm, marry a local, then go contracting. I only ended up there only because a very large Telco wanted me to replicate what I had done in three other countries. I did not meet a contractor other than I that was not a local, married to a local, or from NZ.

Singapore? SAP, SAP, SAP. Did I mention SAP? Maybe some stuff in Finance if you are very talented - it will probably include SAP. If you don't have SAP the best tip I have is to approach Accenture directly as they own the market. Prepare to work as a slave.

Realistically all of these are mute points, there really is no specific app as such (actually, Jobserve is surprisingly good for Aus) as all of these locations require a good network and very specialized experience. Stuff does occasionally come up on JS for Singapore but it is fiercely competitive, the locals are cheaper, and is mostly SAP (remember?)

But anyhow, maybe start by answering the 2 questions.
        Last edited by clearedforlanding; 27 August 2019, 12:00.

Comment

*moot

Comment

@NLUK didn't know about Gulf Talent, thanks

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
            NLUK is spot on about understanding the contracting market.

I have contracted in all 3 of these countries.

There are 2 key questions:
            • What passport do you hold?
            • Do you have a rare skill, and if so what is it?

For example, when I was contracting in the US, I was specialized in VSAT (Symbol security specifically) for a satellite provider based in Luxembourg. Pretty specialized stuff and with the clout of IBM as clientcos US partner to sort out visa issues.

With 52 states you are at the back of a very long list of people who don't need an H1B. STEM is huge in the US, competition is fierce and most of the 65000 H1Bs I would imagine are used by Google & the like to import people from India.

Australia - get sponsored in as a perm, marry a local, then go contracting. I only ended up there only because a very large Telco wanted me to replicate what I had done in three other countries. I did not meet a contractor other than I that was not a local, married to a local, or from NZ.

Singapore? SAP, SAP, SAP. Did I mention SAP? Maybe some stuff in Finance if you are very talented - it will probably include SAP. If you don't have SAP the best tip I have is to approach Accenture directly as they own the market. Prepare to work as a slave.

Realistically all of these are mute points, there really is no specific app as such (actually, Jobserve is surprisingly good for Aus) as all of these locations require a good network and very specialized experience. Stuff does occasionally come up on JS for Singapore but it is fiercely competitive, the locals are cheaper, and is mostly SAP (remember?)

But anyhow, maybe start by answering the 2 questions.
            I have a UK passport.

My skill set is in big data and am currently contracting these roles and want similar work in this area.

I am mostly interested in Singapore actually, and it is interesting what you say about that. Why do you automatically think you'd have to work as a slave there? Is that from experience? I have seen a lot of large international companies there so assumed it would be more international feel to some of those companies?! (Don't fancy 12hr days)

Never checked Australia on jobserve, will check it out cheers

Comment

@NLUK didn't know about Gulf Talent, thanks

I have a UK passport.

My skill set is in big data and am currently contracting these roles and want similar work in this area.

I am mostly interested in Singapore actually, and it is interesting what you say about that. Why do you automatically think you'd have to work as a slave there? Is that from experience? I have seen a lot of large international companies there so assumed it would be more international feel to some of those companies?! (Don't fancy 12hr days)

Never checked Australia on jobserve, will check it out cheers
              I worked as an n-1 / n - 2 at Accenture Singapore. Even at that level it was hell on earth. You will be competing against / working alongside a whole bunch of cheap resources from India.

You are looking in the wrong place. HCMC or Hanoi is where it is at at the moment. Amazon are actively recruiting trainers to train up the locals in Big Data (Hadoop mainly), as are Proctor and Gamble & IBM.

I get a feeling (from your writing style) that you might not be very experienced (apologies if that is not the case). Please bear in mind that SEA is an extremely desirable location, and the competition is fierce. If you are younger, there is one hell of a start up scene in Hanoi that might be more suitable - and fun.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                I worked as an n-1 / n - 2 at Accenture Singapore. Even at that level it was hell on earth. You will be competing against / working alongside a whole bunch of cheap resources from India.

You are looking in the wrong place. HCMC or Hanoi is where it is at at the moment. Amazon are actively recruiting trainers to train up the locals in Big Data (Hadoop mainly), as are Proctor and Gamble & IBM.

I get a feeling (from your writing style) that you might not be very experienced (apologies if that is not the case). Please bear in mind that SEA is an extremely desirable location, and the competition is fierce. If you are younger, there is one hell of a start up scene in Hanoi that might be more suitable - and fun.

Great to hear from someone who has been there and done it, I had a feeling it could be like that in Singapore but was hoping it could be more relaxed.

Very interesting about Vietnam, never thought about there. Will investigate! But do you think the work culture in Vietnam would be any different to Singapore?

Thanks for the info, mucho appreciated.

Comment

Great to hear from someone who has been there and done it, I had a feeling it could be like that in Singapore but was hoping it could be more relaxed.

Very interesting about Vietnam, never thought about there. Will investigate! But do you think the work culture in Vietnam would be any different to Singapore?

Thanks for the info, mucho appreciated.
                  Completely different. You will have the time of your life.

A lot of corporate gigs in HCMC can be found on Glassdoor oddly enough. For startups in Hanoi, last Saturday of every month show up to the Sofitel Legend Metropole cocktail bar, where the startup scene get together to get pissed. Specifically those with money and an office, not running a travel blog from a hostel.

For the start up scene, there is no other way I can think of than show up and mingle.

BTW Vietnam Airlines are running a special on flights to Vietnam (20% off at the moment.) You can upgrade that ticket through Optiontown to Business for 743GBP each way and do a business class return on the A350 for under 2k. Hanoi is an awesome place to visit anyhow, so just see it as a work trip to expense.

Hanoi innovation summit starts tomorrow if you hurry up. Hanoi Innovation Summit - 29th and 30th August 2019, Hanoi, Vietnam

Comment

Working...
                  X