• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offered Contract at Reduced Rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offered Contract at Reduced Rate

Hi - just secured my second contract role through an agency but I've been told I need to accept a rate £10 lower than what I was initially told.

Is this the agent taking the mick? That is my suspicion anyway. Don't know how common this sort of thing is but tempted not to sweat it as roles seem pretty scarce at the moment.

Yes, the agent is taking the mick. If he won't budge, then turn down the role, write to the person who interviewed with you, explaining that while you were very interested in the role, and would love to have done it, you couldn't accept the rate cut of £10 (per hour?) .
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

£10 an hour is a lot to lose. £10 a day, not worth arguing over if you've nothing else in the pipeline.

Comment

Personally I would take the role if nothing else on (which you imply).

And keep looking....

Comment

Yes, £10 off a not altogether great daily rate. Just worried he might can me and let the 2nd choice candidate have the contract so not going to sweat it.

Was just wondering if this is common? Won't name the agency but let's just say they're a pretty generic IT recruitment agency.

Comment

You should always ask the agent if they are on a fixed rate and ask them to confirm via mail. That way you'll know if they are going to take the piss or not. If they are on fixed rate then there is nothing in it for them to mess around like this.
            If they aren't then it's negotiation time and anything they cut will go in their pocket. Shaving a tenner of is a really crappy trick and I'll bet if you pushed it you'd get it back but it's so little they know most will accept it.
            Accept the gig. Store it and get it back and more at next renewal.

It's not that common as most agents with large clients tend to be on fixed rates but looking at many posts on here there seem to be plenty of new contractors having their pants pulled down by agents like this. Some of them find the agents are taking anywhere between 20 and 40% of their rate so 10 quid isn't that bad.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 1 September 2019, 19:08.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Magaluf 19 View Post
              Yes, £10 off a not altogether great daily rate. Just worried he might can me and let the 2nd choice candidate have the contract so not going to sweat it.

Was just wondering if this is common? Won't name the agency but let's just say they're a pretty generic IT recruitment agency.
              Yes, I got done done on my first contract too... Until renewal...

On another contract, where the agent was transparent from the beginning (he sent me the cover sheet where he put my rate and the rate that the agency was getting, which I saw and discussed with the client during the interview) he called to let me know the client wants me and confirmed, SURPRISE, a lower rate. I told him the client said the rate should be OK if they make an offer and that I wasn't interested in the contract at the lower rate. He called back in 20 minutes to say the rate issue has been sorted.

In conclusion, they are always trying...

Comment

So they can still try it on fixed rate or not then.

Some interesting responses there. Thanks.

Have accepted anyway. At least it should see me through any Brexit market turmoil.

Comment

Originally posted by Magaluf 19 View Post
                  So they can still try it on fixed rate or not then.

Some interesting responses there. Thanks.

Have accepted anyway. At least it should see me through any Brexit market turmoil.
                  Not normally no. I wouldn't put it past them but if they are they are taking the piss out of their client as well which wouldn't be smart.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Accept the £10 pd cut and apply a £20 pd hair gel surcharge.

Comment

Working...
                    X