Agents connecting on LinkedIn - what's the point? Agents connecting on LinkedIn - what's the point?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1

    Contractor Among Contractors

    PerfectStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Yes, I have asked my accountant.
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Agents connecting on LinkedIn - what's the point?

    Can someone please explain something to me

    1) Agent requests connection on LinkedIn
    2) You accept
    3) Nothing happens
    4) Your feed fills with bollocks about the various agents' companies

    Perhaps the wider question could be 'what is Linkedin even for?' as whenever I log into it all I see are people arsekissing about their companies' products, or agents seemingly going round collecting connections they don't do anything with.

    What am I missing?

  2. #2

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,837

    Default

    What am I missing?
    Worrying about agents shenanigans on linked in? I'd say a life
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  3. #3

    I Am Legend


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    104,705

    Default

    Occasionally you will get job adverts.

    "Our client is looking for 7 years experience in RTYU coding skills in the thermos flask industry. Do you know anyone?"

  4. #4

    Should post faster

    KinooOrKinog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Can someone please explain something to me

    1) Agent requests connection on LinkedIn
    2) You accept
    3) Nothing happens
    4) Your feed fills with bollocks about the various agents' companies

    Perhaps the wider question could be 'what is Linkedin even for?' as whenever I log into it all I see are people arsekissing about their companies' products, or agents seemingly going round collecting connections they don't do anything with.

    What am I missing?
    Periodically, I find I have to go through and just delete all those connections where I don't even know who they are anymore. It seriously gets on my nerves when someone sends a connection request and then doesn't follow it up with a message to even say hello or acknowledge it in any way. But then I'm easily annoyed!

    On the other hand, I did get my last role through LinkedIn. Agent posted a status, I phoned her, had a call with the client & got it. That's rare though.

  5. #5

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    196

    Default

    25% of the agents that send me a connection request on linkedin it's because they have a role they want to talk to me about, and they do start a conversation 5-10 minutes after I accept the request.

    The remaining 75%, as the OP said, just send the request and then nothing happens, they don't start a conversation. They have no role for me at the moment, in which case they are useless to me and I generally remove the connection after 2-3 days. If they have a role in the future, they'll add me again.

  6. #6

    Contractor Among Contractors

    PerfectStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Yes, I have asked my accountant.
    Posts
    1,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Occasionally you will get job adverts.

    "Our client is looking for 7 years experience in RTYU coding skills in the thermos flask industry. Do you know anyone?"
    Same jobs that appear online surely? And also they're recuiting for a wide variety of roles - the chances of me logging in and seeing something relevant to me are slim

  7. #7

    Should post faster

    KinooOrKinog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Same jobs that appear online surely? And also they're recuiting for a wide variety of roles - the chances of me logging in and seeing something relevant to me are slim
    Not always. My last role was never advertised. Agree that you do need to scroll through a load of annoying bumf, but if I'm short on options it's worth me spending 10mins a couple of times a day..

    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

  8. #8

    Super poster

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,115

    Default

    The connection requests I hate are the ones that sound promising and then it turns into a sales pitch for some crappy service I have no need of.

    I tend to cull agents quite regularly but there's a few at Head Resourcing I have kept on for a while now.

  9. #9

    Contractor Among Contractors

    clearedforlanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Found myself. Still lost.
    Posts
    1,505

    Default

    They connect to mine your connections.

  10. #10

    I Am Legend


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    104,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Same jobs that appear online surely? And also they're recuiting for a wide variety of roles - the chances of me logging in and seeing something relevant to me are slim
    Its like junk mail. Or blokes sending d1ck pics. Only 4 in a thousand successful responses. So you create 1000 links and play the percentages game.

    I could not do it personally. Shows how bad agents are. Though I think most of us know that already. Well 996 out of 1000 of us do - I am trying to reach the other 4....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •