• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents connecting on LinkedIn - what's the point?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents connecting on LinkedIn - what's the point?

Can someone please explain something to me

1) Agent requests connection on LinkedIn
    2) You accept
    3) Nothing happens
    4) Your feed fills with bollocks about the various agents' companies

Perhaps the wider question could be 'what is Linkedin even for?' as whenever I log into it all I see are people arsekissing about their companies' products, or agents seemingly going round collecting connections they don't do anything with.

What am I missing?
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

What am I missing?
    Worrying about agents shenanigans on linked in? I'd say a life
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Occasionally you will get job adverts.

"Our client is looking for 7 years experience in RTYU coding skills in the thermos flask industry. Do you know anyone?"

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
        Can someone please explain something to me

1) Agent requests connection on LinkedIn
        2) You accept
        3) Nothing happens
        4) Your feed fills with bollocks about the various agents' companies

Perhaps the wider question could be 'what is Linkedin even for?' as whenever I log into it all I see are people arsekissing about their companies' products, or agents seemingly going round collecting connections they don't do anything with.

What am I missing?
        Periodically, I find I have to go through and just delete all those connections where I don't even know who they are anymore. It seriously gets on my nerves when someone sends a connection request and then doesn't follow it up with a message to even say hello or acknowledge it in any way. But then I'm easily annoyed!

On the other hand, I did get my last role through LinkedIn. Agent posted a status, I phoned her, had a call with the client & got it. That's rare though.
        If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

25% of the agents that send me a connection request on linkedin it's because they have a role they want to talk to me about, and they do start a conversation 5-10 minutes after I accept the request.

The remaining 75%, as the OP said, just send the request and then nothing happens, they don't start a conversation. They have no role for me at the moment, in which case they are useless to me and I generally remove the connection after 2-3 days. If they have a role in the future, they'll add me again.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Occasionally you will get job adverts.

"Our client is looking for 7 years experience in RTYU coding skills in the thermos flask industry. Do you know anyone?"
            Same jobs that appear online surely? And also they're recuiting for a wide variety of roles - the chances of me logging in and seeing something relevant to me are slim
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Same jobs that appear online surely? And also they're recuiting for a wide variety of roles - the chances of me logging in and seeing something relevant to me are slim
              Not always. My last role was never advertised. Agree that you do need to scroll through a load of annoying bumf, but if I'm short on options it's worth me spending 10mins a couple of times a day..

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
              If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

The connection requests I hate are the ones that sound promising and then it turns into a sales pitch for some crappy service I have no need of.

I tend to cull agents quite regularly but there's a few at Head Resourcing I have kept on for a while now.

Comment

They connect to mine your connections.

Comment

Its like junk mail. Or blokes sending d1ck pics. Only 4 in a thousand successful responses. So you create 1000 links and play the percentages game.

I could not do it personally. Shows how bad agents are. Though I think most of us know that already. Well 996 out of 1000 of us do - I am trying to reach the other 4....

Comment

Working...
                    X