• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non-Billable Additional hours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-Billable Additional hours

I have been offered a contract but I must agree to work additional hours beyond a professional hours for free. I have never been asked to do this before in any of my previous contracts and was wondering if this is a new trend.

The actual wording is:

Services are to be provided on a professional day rate basis which will incorporate reasonable additional hours as required (not billable)
    Last edited by onlyjoe; 4 September 2019, 12:32. Reason: Clarifiaction

Originally posted by onlyjoe View Post
    I have been offered a contract but I must agree to work additional hours beyond a professional hours for free. I have never been asked to do this before in any of my previous contracts and was wondering if this is a new trend.
    Just say no.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I have seen these before, you're not agreeing to actually do the hours; just agreeing to what the pay rate is if you do the extra hours.
      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Is it that you must agree to work them, or that if you do agree to work them, then you do them for free? They are different things.

You'll need to post the wording, but i suspect its the latter.

Comment

Non-billable additional hours

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
          I have seen these before, you're not agreeing to actually do the hours; just agreeing to what the pay rate is if you do the extra hours.
          Hi the actual wording is:

Services are to be provided on a professional day rate basis which will incorporate reasonable additional hours as required (not billable)

Comment

Reasonable is very vague. If you want to do a bit extra fine, if not just say you are not available to do overtime, when asked.

It's just contract talk. It all comes down to the relationship you develop with the end client, and whoever signs your timesheets.

I wouldn't sweat over it.

Comment

A professional day doesn't have set hours, so it can't have additional ones, I would've thought.

Do you get your contracts reviewed? QDOS probably would've got rid of that. If not, put the amendment in with their suggestions.
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

So, how you take this depends on what camp you are in. A professional working day, to me, means you do what needs to be done. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less. As a professional you flex to suit.

Now if you are a 9 to 5'er and won't do a minute over then you aren't going to like this. I imagine Pyschocandy will be on in a minute with his tales of the client taking the piss and asking him to stay and do a bit extra work because the pressure is on.

To me, it means you do what you need to. Sometimes you put a bit more in but conversely it means you've got the flexibility to leave earlier when there isn't so much to do or when it suits.

To complete cynic it could be a red flag you'll be asked to do a host of extra hours on a regular basis and generally have the piss taken out of you. It can happen as PC will no doubt attest. That sentence, however, describes how every single on of my gigs has panned out and it's worked perfectly for me. I think the fact they've put 'additional hours' in the description is what get's peoples feathers ruffled when in reality we've all done it without question when it's not in black and white if that makes sense.

A professional day doesn't have set hours, so it can't have additional ones, I would've thought.
                Eh? Surely if it doesn't have set hours it means it CAN have additional. Set hours means you can't. You got that the wrong way around?

Why get rid of it? It's better for IR35 to have it in rather than set hours and really it doesn't make any difference what they put on the contract, it's what the client wants so you'll have to do some digging at interview time.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Some days I do feck all, this week I've just completed the third 10 hour day in a row. I am in agreement with NLUK that this isn't really an issue unless you make it one. It's probably an honest assessment that sometimes they're going to need a bit more time.

It properly becomes an issue if it happens every day.

Comment

I'm currently local. In for 7am out for 2.30pm. Was a 3 month contract but ended up 1.5 years finishing next month.

I do work when in, No fiddling about and on odd times work remotely for 1 or two hours extra.

For me I run my own business. No one can tell me what hours I can work if i need to do more and where i can work as that's my business call not clients. When I do work though I work flat out without wasting half day talking to others like permies do. I'm in for a job with set project timescales to complete by.

Comment

Working...
                    X