• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Germany - Healthcare

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Germany - Healthcare

Hello.
    I am genuinely asking this for a female friend who is currently working over in Bavaria - can't post in general for obvious reasons. She was a seasoned contractor I worked with in London but is now in Germany.

They have taken a permanent public sector job. Very unwell for two weeks and have complained that getting to speak to an English speaking doctor has been a true nightmare, to the extent that they have considered quitting. They very nearly had sepsis due to inability to register and speak with an English speaking doctor, although I have trouble believing doctors don't speak English over there.

They're with a major healthcare insurer, as is mostly the case in Germany. Do any of our German temporary or permanent residents have any advice to help this person? Should ALL contact for registering with a recommended doctor be through the insurance company? Is it a case of phoning various local GP surgeries to register until you find one that has a doctor registered as communicating in English?

Thanks in advance folks.

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
    Hello.
    I am genuinely asking this for a female friend who is currently working over in Bavaria - can't post in general for obvious reasons. She was a seasoned contractor I worked with in London but is now in Germany.

They have taken a permanent public sector job. Very unwell for two weeks and have complained that getting to speak to an English speaking doctor has been a true nightmare, to the extent that they have considered quitting. They very nearly had sepsis due to inability to register and speak with an English speaking doctor, although I have trouble believing doctors don't speak English over there.

They're with a major healthcare insurer, as is mostly the case in Germany. Do any of our German temporary or permanent residents have any advice to help this person? Should ALL contact for registering with a recommended doctor be through the insurance company? Is it a case of phoning various local GP surgeries to register until you find one that has a doctor registered as communicating in English?

Thanks in advance folks.
    You just ring around and find a GP who will take you and can chop and change anytime you want. You might want to ask on Toytown about English speaking doctors and provide the area she's in, someone will be bound to answer.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Has she tried shouting really loud in English at thee Germans, surly they would understand English then ?

Alternatively she could learn German in Germany

Or get a translator

Or fly home on next flight

Or get a video English doctor (that’s what I would do, same hour service for £50)

Or simply whinge about it

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Bavaria is special.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
          Hello.
          I have trouble believing doctors don't speak English over there.
          How many doctors speak German in the UK?
          Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

It's not normally the doctors that are the problem. Most of them will speak English in my experience. The problem is the receptionists and they are the gatekeepers to the doctors. She could ask her health insurer for help in finding an English speaking doctor but if she's in city I would be amazed if there aren't doctors advertising their English speaking credentials.

Does she have a friendly German that can make some phone calls for her? It's hard, but it does get easier as you learn the system.
            Last edited by RasputinDude; 6 September 2019, 10:23. Reason: clearly, I can't type in English any more

Comment

I also find it hard to believe that she can't find a Dr that speaks English. I work in Germany from time to time and even the guys who work in the kebab shops can speak three languages.

Comment

One thing does come seem strange, if she has taken a permanent public sector job, how did she get through all the paperwork and other peripheral stuff without speaking German? Most of the public sector workers I have come across don't speak English and none of the paperwork is in English either.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, except Tarbera, who still appears to be a twit ( No course teaches you the intricacies of how to describe complex medical symptoms, you absolute bell-end) and MasterBait who seems to be a moron. You two should go for a coffee, might it off - who knows?

She had sepsis, so fussing over a German language course at that point is blatantly not on; the reason for my posting in the 'Business' section in the first place. No course teaches you the intricacies of how to describe complex medical symptoms, you absolute bell-end.

If you're in an elevated position in the UK it's easy enough to go work with senior public sector collaboration area in Germany. Think defense, NATO, European Commission, etc.

She's in hospital now after pursuing three specific GP surgeries with German-speaking receptions, as Darmstadt correctly mentioned: they aren't keen on English speakers with weak/no German. In a sudden emergency a newbie to a country isn't going to understand the complexities of a system and just wants help, which I can empathise with. Try it some time, Tarbera Streisand.
                  Last edited by rogerfederer; 8 September 2019, 20:55.

Comment

The German for sepsis is sepsis for future reference

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X