• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

re: Continue To Apply For Other Roles When Having Already Accepted A Role Verbally

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep looking. I once got offered a role and was just waiting on the contract coming through. After chasing for a couple of weeks ("its being processed") I got an email (not even a call) from the agency saying their client hadn't won the contract that was providing the work so the offer was revoked.

Don't trust anything until you're on site.

Comment

Keep looking with the same intensity you were before. If it all falls through no one will make up the lost time/money for you.

This also goes for promised extensions - get to work hard a month before it's "meant" to happen as a few times I've been told on the Friday it isn't.
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by Plonitus View Post
        Not my intention to play games.

Another way to re-phrase, how long does it normally to receive the written contract after the agent has verbally confirmed you have won the role?
        That varies according to the client and industry. One client did a telephone interview on Thursday, contract issued Friday, started Monday. Another fart-arsed around for 3 weeks doing background checks.

The sensible thing is, as others have said, to not consider it a done deal until you've got a signed contract and you actually get started. It would be silly to stop looking/interviewing as you could end up with no work and bench time looming. If you end up with another offer you at least have options.

Comment

Until on site, passed all stupid agency screening requirements (can we see your high school ograde certificates for geography or we can’t pay your invoice)

Yes I’ve had that

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

My experience is that the written contract is sent within a couple of days of the verbal offer, if not then chase up and continue looking.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              Until on site, passed all stupid agency screening requirements (can we see your high school ograde certificates for geography or we can’t pay your invoice)

Yes I’ve had that

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
              Because we're in a genuine B2B relationship, right? By asking such things, the client in no way thinks that they're hiring you, personally, do they? Oh no siree.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                Because we're in a genuine B2B relationship, right? By asking such things, the client in no way thinks that they're hiring you, personally, do they? Oh no siree.
                There's a number of industries where the checks are against the person, not the company. Banking, anything requiring security clearance for example. At some point, the person doing the work has to be checked. You could say that the company the person works for should do the checks and confirm to the agency/client that they pass. What evidence would they accept?

I completely understand where you're coming from; it's just not an easily resolvable situation. Companies that have tried to set up portable validated profiles have failed to get the companies asking for this information to buy into it. That could be a way forward but the likes of Capita make lots of money by continually reconfirming the same people.

This literally happened to me - they vetted me for a role at some energy company, Haywards Heath/Three Bridges way I can't remember the name now, and I pulled out and instead went to Heathrow just as the contract was issued. Capita then started vetting me again despite me saying that they'd already done it. I didn't care if they charged both clients, I just didn't see why they should delay my start date due to vetting when they already had the information they needed.

Comment

Never stop looking until you actually on customer's site even with a signed contract, they can pull out any second so why not you?

Comment

Working...
                  X