• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving on earlier than expected

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Hopefully the client will train up/get a permie in and they'll realize in time you've done them a favour and not left them in the lurch like quitting mid deliverable.
    If the client wants me to do more work after a project I suggest that as part of handover I train up their operational staff and put in place the procedures to operate the system.

That way I get extra work, all under the same deliverable. The client gets the solution end to end and are far happier.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      If the client wants me to do more work after a project I suggest that as part of handover I train up their operational staff and put in place the procedures to operate the system.

That way I get extra work, all under the same deliverable. The client gets the solution end to end and are far happier.
      Sadly, twice I've had to leave gigs due to hitting contractor time limits and despite suggesting this over a year before I left and many times in between, in both cases it didn't happen and I had just drop the whole thing and leave. Standard PC mentality would be to screw it, not my problem, but it pisses me off royally that I've done all that work, got everything flowing, owned it and then we are back to square one the day after I leave. Just seems such a waste.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        Have you passed all screening in new client yet ? With start date and signed contract ?
        Absolutely, contract is signed and returned. Start date and day rate agreed. Background checks in motion but I’ve never had an issue on this front. I have a clean record and I hold SC clearance (calculated risk).

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Guilt is for pussies.....

Only time I ever feel guilty is if I did something wrong like shag the neighbours cat.
          Hey, my dad said the same thing!

Appreciate the honesty though, I know it’s not something that I should be worrying about but that will just take time for my mindset to change.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
            I usually offer to finish off key work in evenings around my next gig which goes down well and brings a bit more revenue in. Most people will just be thnkful for the work you have done
            Cheers JoJo, I hadn’t considered this option. I will bring this up in conversation and see if they fancy some of that.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Sadly, twice I've had to leave gigs due to hitting contractor time limits and despite suggesting this over a year before I left and many times in between, in both cases it didn't happen and I had just drop the whole thing and leave. Standard PC mentality would be to screw it, not my problem, but it pisses me off royally that I've done all that work, got everything flowing, owned it and then we are back to square one the day after I leave. Just seems such a waste.
              and 6 months later it's your fault nobody can operate it

Some clients never learn.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                and 6 months later it's your fault nobody can operate it

Some clients never learn.
                This is definitely going to be the case in my situation!

Comment

Originally posted by FancyBear View Post
                  This is definitely going to be the case in my situation!
                  as long as you make it out the door before they blame you it's a positive
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Provide some post contract consultancy support for a reasonable fee negotiated on the final day when they realise they may need it as they've run out of time on the handover.

I had one client keep calling me after a contract ended as the newbie permie was struggling and the handover was obviously short of ideal. I joked I'd be charging £x per call from then on. They never called again, but I did wonder if I should have maybe offered something similar in a more serious fashion.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by FancyBear View Post
                      Hi all,

I have been contracting in the Cyber Security industry as a consultant for eight months at the same company. I completed a six month contract and then the client renewed for another six months. I am now two months into the renewal and the time has come to move on to a better opportunity which is more aligned with my interests and passion (plus a 50% uplift in day rate).

I have delivered a lot of project work over the last 8 months and I am now getting more involved in BAU work (IR35!?) which is becoming tedious. They have already asked me to become permanent but I have politely declined on two occasions.

I have just accepted a contract with a new client, so I will be giving my notice at my current place immediately. I know this game can be ruthless, and it really isn't any different to leaving a permanent role but I still can't shake the feeling of guilt, like I owe them some sense of loyalty. I really don't think the news is going to be well received.

Any advice for occasions such as these?

Thanks.
                      Yes.

Try to imagine how many tears the hiring manager would be crying when you get unceremoniously dumped as your contract is abruptly terminated due to budget shortfalls/downsizing/project cancellation/etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X