• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving on earlier than expected

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going against the grain here, but when I sign to deliver services for 3, 6 or 12 months I honour the contract. Always have.
    You're running a business and honour your commitments to your customers. Just because some clientcos don't act in good faith it doesn't mean you should run your business the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
      I'm going against the grain here, but when I sign to deliver services for 3, 6 or 12 months I honour the contract. Always have.
      You're running a business and honour your commitments to your customers. Just because some clientcos don't act in good faith it doesn't mean you should run your business the same way.
      To some extent this is a decent way to act but there are valid times when this just isn't feasible and its not unprofessional to leave. If the work isn't as described, it's complete and they want to treat you like perm and move you to something else or if the work just isn't there and you are slowly dying inside doing nothing.
      In those cases it's in neither parties interest to just plod on so could quite rightly move on. Jumping for 50 quid more or you took a long distance gig that you never intend to honour is unprofessional.

I'd say you've been lucky so can apply the right attitude but I don't think it's as black and white as you state.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        To some extent this is a decent way to act but there are valid times when this just isn't feasible and its not unprofessional to leave. If the work isn't as described, it's complete and they want to treat you like perm and move you to something else or if the work just isn't there and you are slowly dying inside doing nothing.
        In those cases it's in neither parties interest to just plod on so could quite rightly move on. Jumping for 50 quid more or you took a long distance gig that you never intend to honour is unprofessional.

I'd say you've been lucky so can apply the right attitude but I don't think it's as black and white as you state.
        Right attitude is do whats right for YOU with the allowed LEGAL clauses of the contract....
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
          I totally agree with that, I always want to honour my commitments however it didn't work out that way on this occasion which is no doubt a contributing factor to why I found it hard to terminate.

I think it may depend on your industry too? My industry is so fast paced, if I sit still for 6 months doing work that doesn't fully interest me, or isn't what I become certified to do then I truly feel like I would be left behind. I have to stay current and I have to stay active.
          Last edited by FancyBear; 12 September 2019, 09:41.

Comment

Serving notice is still 'honouring the contract' of sorts - if it wasn't the contract wouldn't include such a clause
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
              Serving notice is still 'honouring the contract' of sorts - if it wasn't the contract wouldn't include such a clause
              EXACTLY

Comment

I agree the default position from both sides should be see a contract out but ultimately they signed up to have a notice period and they wouldn't think twice about invoking it the other way. Contracts that run on after the work has finished can suck the life out of you.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  I agree the default position from both sides should be see a contract out but ultimately they signed up to have a notice period and they wouldn't think twice about invoking it the other way. Contracts that run on after the work has finished can suck the life out of you.
                  If you're a client you have every right to enter into the contract no notice period. You can't have it all ways. If you REALLY don't want the contractor to leave then stick in the contract.

The clients/agencies don't do this because they know that A) some contractors will not agree to this and B) Is possible some contractors will want to negotiate a higher rate because of this.

So they stick the notice period in, knowing that there is this misguided belief amongst certain contractors that you should never invoke a notice period. They are laughing at these mugs.

Comment

Honestly PC. That is the biggest load of rubbish you've posted to date. There are many reasons there in a termination clause in there.. Most B2B contracts have them and nearly all B2C's have them.

It's not something that is unique to us and is there just to screw someone.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X