• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving on earlier than expected

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving on earlier than expected

Hi all,

I have been contracting in the Cyber Security industry as a consultant for eight months at the same company. I completed a six month contract and then the client renewed for another six months. I am now two months into the renewal and the time has come to move on to a better opportunity which is more aligned with my interests and passion (plus a 50% uplift in day rate).

I have delivered a lot of project work over the last 8 months and I am now getting more involved in BAU work (IR35!?) which is becoming tedious. They have already asked me to become permanent but I have politely declined on two occasions.

I have just accepted a contract with a new client, so I will be giving my notice at my current place immediately. I know this game can be ruthless, and it really isn't any different to leaving a permanent role but I still can't shake the feeling of guilt, like I owe them some sense of loyalty. I really don't think the news is going to be well received.

Any advice for occasions such as these?

Thanks.

Originally posted by FancyBear View Post
    Hi all,

I have been contracting in the Cyber Security industry as a consultant for eight months at the same company. I completed a six month contract and then the client renewed for another six months. I am now two months into the renewal and the time has come to move on to a better opportunity which is more aligned with my interests and passion (plus a 50% uplift in day rate).

I have delivered a lot of project work over the last 8 months and I am now getting more involved in BAU work (IR35!?) which is becoming tedious. They have already asked me to become permanent but I have politely declined on two occasions.

I have just accepted a contract with a new client, so I will be giving my notice at my current place immediately. I know this game can be ruthless, and it really isn't any different to leaving a permanent role but I still can't shake the feeling of guilt, like I owe them some sense of loyalty. I really don't think the news is going to be well received.

Thanks.
    Have you passed all screening in new client yet ? With start date and signed contract ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks.
      Don't worry about it. To feel guilty shows you have empathy, I get the same feelings, but always leave on good terms, I usually offer to finish off key work in evenings around my next gig which goes down well and brings a bit more revenue in. Most people will just be thnkful for the work you have done

Comment

Getting sucked into BAU is a good reason for moving on. Much better than ditching the client half-way through a set of deliverables.

So you may still have a chance of leaving on good terms so they may want you back in future, where you now know to stick to the original plan and not let them try to permietractor you with BAU and the implications for IR35 you rightly foresee.

As alluded to by another, make sure the new contract is all ready to go before ditching the current one. i.e. work notice so you finish one contract on the Friday and start the next on the Monday, then in the event the new contract is pulled you can try to backtrack on the notice.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks.
          Not really, just be professional, honest and open on why you have decided to leave in case they ask you.

Both you and the client know that this is the nature of contracting so if the client is decent and has a minimum of common sense, there won't be any bad blood.

Finally, if it makes you feel better, know that the client wouldn't think twice if they had to let you go so yeah, no reason for feeling guilty. it's just how things go.

Good luck on your new gig.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            Have you passed all screening in new client yet ? With start date and signed contract ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
            ^^ This, do not give notice until you have IR35 checked the contract and have it countersignedby client/agency and done all checks
            Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Don't feel bad about it - it's the same notice they'd be giving you if the shoe was on the other foot, and people leave contracts all the time.

One of the nicer elements of clients not always getting the contractor mindset, is that when you hand your notice in the client is generally understanding!

Have a chat to them first, let them know what's coming then serve notice to the agency with your last day clearly highlighted. Offer to help with handover to another individual, handing over files etc.
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Guilt is for pussies.....

Only time I ever feel guilty is if I did something wrong like shag the neighbours cat. Invoking a legitimate clause in the contract (i.e. leaving early) is not something to feel guilty about.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Guilt is for pussies.....

Only time I ever feel guilty is if I did something wrong like shag the neighbours cat. Invoking a legitimate clause in the contract (i.e. leaving early) is not something to feel guilty about.
                  Normal level of professionalism resumed.....
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have delivered a lot of project work over the last 8 months and I am now getting more involved in BAU work (IR35!?) which is becoming tedious.
                    Most likely correct. You've delivered what you were engaged to do so time to move on. This situation isn't purely about jumping ship mid gig for no other reason than it suits you. Mercenary attitudes like that will come back and bite you at some point. This is about a piece of work that has been completed, client doesn't see it and is putting your IR35 status in jeopardy so time to end the contract and get on with what you do.

Hopefully the client will train up/get a permie in and they'll realize in time you've done them a favour and not left them in the lurch like quitting mid deliverable.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X