• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is a contract legally binding before its start date?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a contract legally binding before its start date?

Given you have accepted a contract with a start date in the future (e.g. next week/next month), and you got another better opportunity, what options are there to cancel it? Is it legally binding if you notify them before the start date?

Yes it is binding. You can always give notice on the contract.

They might accept you not turning up at all. However you will be burning bridges.

Comment

Legally binding since the second after you sign it/accept it verbally (i.e over the phone) or in writing (i.e via email)

Comment

Signed by both parties or you've just received it? I've bailed just after a contract was sent to me with no consequences but if you've marked your X and all that jazz then things are a bit different.

Just a note of caution. How much of a dead cert is this better opportunity?

Comment

Just give the relevant notice as per contract so you will be legally ok. Unless there is notice period in your contract then you may have a problem but I can't see them going to court for you not showing up ( You can always propose your sub to come on site)

Comment

Thank you so much for the replies. I will give the notice and not show up.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
              Given you have accepted a contract with a start date in the future (e.g. next week/next month), and you got another better opportunity, what options are there to cancel it? Is it legally binding if you notify them before the start date?
              Something to consider; if you accepted a contract, signed the paperwork & had a start date then the client turned around and said they were withdrawing it as they'd found someone better, how raging would you be? Or would you not mind since legally they did nothing wrong..

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
              If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Can't you give notice and then say that you will not be able to accept any work during the notice period? Surely as a contractor you are under no obligation to accept work?

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
                  Can't you give notice and then say that you will not be able to accept any work during the notice period? Surely as a contractor you are under no obligation to accept work?
                  You are confusing MoO which is pretty common. You are not obliged to accept work AFTER the initial piece of work has been completed. When you are in contract there are certain obligations to do work if offered and to get paid for it.

Clients not having work to do is part of the T&M part of the contract, not Mutality of Obligation. Quite different.

You could try telling them you are on holiday or unavailable but you are still likely to be in breach.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    You are confusing MoO which is pretty common. You are not obliged to accept work AFTER the initial piece of work has been completed. When you are in contract there are certain obligations to do work if offered and to get paid for it.

Clients not having work to do is part of the T&M part of the contract, not Mutality of Obligation. Quite different.

You could try telling them you are on holiday or unavailable but you are still likely to be in breach.
                    Send a sub.

Comment

Working...
                    X