• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job Advertised at Six Months Offered Three Months Instead

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just received the Contract from the client stipulating three months instead of six months. The client is to doing work for a third party where I will be working soley on the third party site.

The recruitment consultant told that that the third party is only offering work until the end of the year.

What are your thoughts on this?

My thoughts are this so straight forward there doesn't need to be any thought.

Advert is meaningless, you are a 'contact'or.

As simple as that.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And remember, the contract is really only as long as there is work so the 3 months is pretty meaningless as well.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

A short gig to the end of the year could still turn out to be a long one. It's possible that they haven't set the 2020 budget yet and an extension could come along if your face fits. If you need the work, its a good stop gap and you can look to find something else to start in the New Year if it is only going to be three months.

I worked on a rolling one month contract for a while. Now that was tedious; having the same "do you still need me" conversation every few weeks.

Comment

It’s not a “job”.

Comment

Originally posted by BackupBoy View Post
            It’s not a “job”.
            Actually, in this case, it does.

Comment

It could be worse. They could offer you 6 months then given notice at the 3 month point!

Comment

Take it anyway, you'll lose more money dicking about finding the next one unless you have something else on the table.

I've had 3 month contracts turn into 2 years, and 6 month ones cancel in month 3. Past a certain point it's sometimes quite meaningless (I don't take the 4 week ones though). If you're still good at the end of month 3 they'll keep you
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Unless it is being billed as a specific short term contract (shortest I have had is 3 weeks) I must confess to not taking too much notice of contract lengths anymore. I have had too many where you are initially told they will be enough work to keep you there for ages then being let go a few months later when no one wants to pay for the work to think otherwise (although the opposite can happen, of course).

Comment

I assume all contacts are 1 day long and happily surprised when they roll on for years

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                    Last edited by GhostofTarbera; 11 September 2019, 11:39.

Comment

Working...
                    X