• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Continue in new nightmare perm role or go back to old contract role?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continue in new nightmare perm role or go back to old contract role?

Hello everyone,

Looking for some advice. I'm a product manager and recently left a contract role which had about 9 months left for a perm role. This was due to the perm role offering better career progression and the contract role not so much. Thing is, whilst the work was quite dull for the contract role, I actually liked working for the company as the people were great, flexi hours, working from home, etc. The latter two reasons especially helped as my daughter is still at nursery so dropping off and picking up can be done around work hours, plus my wife also works so the flexibility was very handy.

So I'm 2 and a half weeks into this new perm role and it's chaos, it's a small team within a large organisation but they're siloed off from the rest of the company and this wasn't explained to me in the interview. I was told it would have good work life balance and settled environment but that's turned out to be the opposite, there is no structure, priorities changing all the time (more than normal), during the handover the person I'm replacing said he's been doing the work of two PMs, some colleagues are so busy they don't take lunch (whilst a lot of people don't, I do like my lunch). I'm generally not enjoying the experience and whilst I know it's only been a couple of weeks, I have the same feeling I've had in other roles where I feel I'm not going to settle in well here and have ultimately left.

I've kept in contact with my boss at the contract role and he has said the job is still open if I want to return. Question is, do I stick it out in the perm role for the experience and future career progression which the contract role won't give me? (And look for a new role).

Or return to the contract role as it suits my personal/family situation at the moment as well as for the money/work life balance and worry about the next job when the time comes? Although I'm conscious that this is likely to coincide with the ir35 reform in April 2020

Originally posted by Henryboy View Post
    ... return to the contract role as it suits my personal/family situation at the moment as well as for the money/work life balance and worry about the next job when the time comes...
    Do this. You do not want to work for that permie team, unless you're a fan of doing death marches.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Henryboy View Post
      Hello everyone,

Looking for some advice. I'm a product manager and recently left a contract role which had about 9 months left for a perm role. This was due to the perm role offering better career progression and the contract role not so much. Thing is, whilst the work was quite dull for the contract role, I actually liked working for the company as the people were great, flexi hours, working from home, etc. The latter two reasons especially helped as my daughter is still at nursery so dropping off and picking up can be done around work hours, plus my wife also works so the flexibility was very handy.

So I'm 2 and a half weeks into this new perm role and it's chaos, it's a small team within a large organisation but they're siloed off from the rest of the company and this wasn't explained to me in the interview. I was told it would have good work life balance and settled environment but that's turned out to be the opposite, there is no structure, priorities changing all the time (more than normal), during the handover the person I'm replacing said he's been doing the work of two PMs, some colleagues are so busy they don't take lunch (whilst a lot of people don't, I do like my lunch). I'm generally not enjoying the experience and whilst I know it's only been a couple of weeks, I have the same feeling I've had in other roles where I feel I'm not going to settle in well here and have ultimately left.

I've kept in contact with my boss at the contract role and he has said the job is still open if I want to return. Question is, do I stick it out in the perm role for the experience and future career progression which the contract role won't give me? (And look for a new role).

Or return to the contract role as it suits my personal/family situation at the moment as well as for the money/work life balance and worry about the next job when the time comes? Although I'm conscious that this is likely to coincide with the ir35 reform in April 2020
      Depends what's important to you & whether you're looking for long or short term gain. If you're looking for significant career progression you generally won't get this as a contractor.

If it was me, I would probably suck it up & stay in the perm role at least for the 9 months you would spend in the contract, see what you can get from it, then re-evaluate the situation. Two & a half weeks is nothing. The contract might be better money now but consider that you might be out on your ear in 9 months & spend several more with zero income.

All that said though, only you know what's best for your situation so go with what feels right.
      If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

it doesn't sound like the contracting role is anyting other than a disguised perm role.

Why not look for another contract role?
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Your boss?

I'd echo Lance's comment but there is very little to go on admittedly. Tread carefully.

Once this gig evaporates will there be others that will allow you to spend time with your daughter and family? If not I'd just look for another perm role and enjoy time with the kids while they are young.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 13 September 2019, 02:49.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ask you old boss for a permie roll.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Ask you old boss for a permie roll.
              Well, he did say he likes his lunch.

Comment

If the former contract role is open I'd suggest jumping back and looking for a better permie roll if that's what you want to do long term.

As has been said, you seem to view contracting more as a job from a permie mindset. That rings some alarm bells for IR35 right now.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Think like a permie - take six months off on stress leave

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    Think like a permie - take six months off on stress leave

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                    Gotta get past the probationary period first!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X