• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Continue in new nightmare perm role or go back to old contract role?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I were you, if I am not enjoying the role and I would leave early now rather than later (which requires probably 3 months notice). As an ex-contractor I am already aware of the pros & cons of being a contractor and I already have a decent war chest that would keep me going for at least 12 months without work.

On the other hand if I don't have a decent war chest, I would hang on to the perm role knowing that the current contract market being really really dry and seeing that no roles exist even for the top 10 technologies.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I fell I should stick it out in the perm role but little things keep popping up that I've not experienced anywhere else i.e. just yesterday action points were assigned to me from a meeting that I was in and those action points were not discussed in the meeting, it's as if they've come out of nowhere....but then going back to the contract role seems like taking the easy route and I've given up on the perm role.

Regarding those that pointed out the contract role being disguised as the perm role, good point...I didn't look at it like that, I guess the role, people and environment has played out that way to make it look like a perm role.

Comment

Originally posted by Henryboy View Post
        ....but then going back to the contract role seems like taking the easy route and I've given up on the perm role
        Yes. And that's a good thing.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Henryboy View Post
          Thanks for the replies. I fell I should stick it out in the perm role but little things keep popping up that I've not experienced anywhere else i.e. just yesterday action points were assigned to me from a meeting that I was in and those action points were not discussed in the meeting, it's as if they've come out of nowhere....but then going back to the contract role seems like taking the easy route and I've given up on the perm role.

Regarding those that pointed out the contract role being disguised as the perm role, good point...I didn't look at it like that, I guess the role, people and environment has played out that way to make it look like a perm role.
          Make a stand on action points or become the person who allocated those to you - bitch boy forever

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            Make a stand on action points or become the person who allocated those to you - bitch boy forever

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
            Yep. This.
            Reply to all to the email with the minutes, saying they don’t reflect your recollection of the meeting.

And in future take your own minutes.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I always get told give it a chance its only been a few weeks when I've been in some dire contracts.

The thing is I've had a enough jobs to know when a situation is bad, I know a lot more of the signs now.

Obviously it depends on your exact situation but I think 2 weeks is enough to know a job is bad I would leave if you have the chance to go back, don't see it as the easy option or a failure, you have to do whats right for you, what one will you be happier with?

Comment

Well the last couple of days have gone better, i.e. the product is intriguing, they appear to be pretty flexible with working hours and the work is much more interesting than the contract role. But there are still so many red flags, i.e. colleague just told me she was working to the early hours last night, although she ensures me that isn't normal. Trying to keep a clear head to make an informed decision is not easy, it feels like the chaos is still very much there. Plus the contract role won't be there forever.

Comment

Working...
                X