• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client wanting additional services.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    They don't need a reason
    Agreed, a reason would be more for my own satisfaction than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
      Boomed recently for a consultancy feeding into PS organisation; contract outside IR35 or as outside as it can be.

Been there a week, finding feet, contributing as usual - a few different techs.

Brown stuff then hit fan.

Contract deliverables are pertaining to development services. Consultancy now realise they need to provide support, so I get delivery lead ringing me up claiming it should have been mentioned before, they know a contractor coming free in same org who can do support ( no veiled termination threat at all... ). I complain to agent about it, consultancy unhappy with what was said to me. Today? Get called by same delivery lead, I clearly misinterpreted what was said... but needed to give an answer by 5pm or notice would be invoked.

No valid reason for notice being invoked but I'm old enough and ugly enough to deal with it. Instantly sent uber professional email to agent outlining in great details problems with the waffly support details required, which would need new contract. Given personal circumstances - seriously ill mum, child with special needs, out of hour support is something neither the limited company nor myself have ever engaged in, for good reason. Looking at both the requirements and as they put it "renumeration", it's also taking the piss to a high degree so not even the case can accept, get amended contract and then subcontract out. Sure, free money if no calls, but having to be available basically all day weekends I'd not ask anyone to take on personally.

Should probably last a month here with notice period - not sure how to handle it on CV / interviews - "client tried to coerce me into providing services outside contract" may not go down to well.
      You should say you run a business not a charity. Then you say it will cost you (hourly rate)×15or25 for out of scope services that would need to be as a separate contract or amended to the current contract. Then you can sub out the work but pay a little extra to the sub for the crappy hours. More likely they would say no and keep the status quo. It's what consultancies do to give an option they don't like a stupid price the client they know will reject and keep first option.

As you are leaving a little time off like 1 to 3 months is normal for contractors..something that isn't usually questioned. I assume the project would be finished so that's what you were contracted to do and completed.

Comment

Working...
      X