• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client wanting additional services.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client wanting additional services.

Boomed recently for a consultancy feeding into PS organisation; contract outside IR35 or as outside as it can be.

Been there a week, finding feet, contributing as usual - a few different techs.

Brown stuff then hit fan.

Contract deliverables are pertaining to development services. Consultancy now realise they need to provide support, so I get delivery lead ringing me up claiming it should have been mentioned before, they know a contractor coming free in same org who can do support ( no veiled termination threat at all... ). I complain to agent about it, consultancy unhappy with what was said to me. Today? Get called by same delivery lead, I clearly misinterpreted what was said... but needed to give an answer by 5pm or notice would be invoked.

No valid reason for notice being invoked but I'm old enough and ugly enough to deal with it. Instantly sent uber professional email to agent outlining in great details problems with the waffly support details required, which would need new contract. Given personal circumstances - seriously ill mum, child with special needs, out of hour support is something neither the limited company nor myself have ever engaged in, for good reason. Looking at both the requirements and as they put it "renumeration", it's also taking the piss to a high degree so not even the case can accept, get amended contract and then subcontract out. Sure, free money if no calls, but having to be available basically all day weekends I'd not ask anyone to take on personally.

Should probably last a month here with notice period - not sure how to handle it on CV / interviews - "client tried to coerce me into providing services outside contract" may not go down to well.

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
    Boomed recently for a consultancy feeding into PS organisation; contract outside IR35 or as outside as it can be.

Contract deliverables are pertaining to development services. Consultancy now realise they need to provide support, so I get delivery lead ringing me up claiming it should have been mentioned before, they know a contractor coming free in same org who can do support ( no veiled termination threat at all... ). I complain to agent about it, consultancy unhappy with what was said to me. Today? Get called by same delivery lead, I clearly misinterpreted what was said... but needed to give an answer by 5pm or notice would be invoked.

No valid reason for notice being invoked but I'm old enough and ugly enough to deal with it. Instantly sent uber professional email to agent outlining in great details problems with the waffly support details required, which would need new contract. Given personal circumstances - seriously ill mum, child with special needs, out of hour support is something neither the limited company nor myself have ever engaged in, for good reason. Looking at both the requirements and as they put it "renumeration", it's also taking the piss to a high degree so not even the case can accept, get amended contract and then subcontract out. Sure, free money if no calls, but having to be available basically all day weekends I'd not ask anyone to take on personally.

Should probably last a month here with notice period - not sure how to handle it on CV / interviews - "client tried to coerce me into providing services outside contract" may not go down to well.
    Just say the project got cancelled. Or leave it off your CV altogether. Tbh I don't think I've ever been asked to explain gaps on my cv or been asked why I left my last role.
    If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
      Just say the project got cancelled. Or leave it off your CV altogether. Tbh I don't think I've ever been asked to explain gaps on my cv or been asked why I left my last role.
      I'm a bad liar tbh. Not great for a contractor...

Comment

Then learn!

Options:
        1. Leave the gig off your CV. You went on holiday, decorated the house, whatever during the gap if asked.
        2. Leave the gig on and give the whole sorry tale and never get another contract
        3. Leave the gig on but say the role was changed outside of your skillset and you left rather than do a bad job
        4. Leave the gig on and say the project was cancelled

I'd go with #1 personally. A month is not worth having on your CV unless that's how you normally work and it's no long enough for anyone to think you were benched because you were rubbish

Comment

The project was cancelled (for you). That's not a lie

Comment

No valid reason for notice being invoked
            They did give a valid reason.

Annoying as f**k? yes.

Your fault? Absolutely not

Their fault? yes.

Them realising what they actually needed way too late? yes.

Them ending your contract within the legal bounds of the contract? yes.

Sh!t happens? yes.

Comment

They don't need a reason
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I don't think you need to lie on this one at all. Just say the client wanted you to do 24/7 support and you were not prepared to do that, it was not mentioned during interview and you both decided to part ways.

For such a short time I would leave it off and only declare if asked for SC purposes.
                Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

then tell the truth.

Contract was for delivering stuff.
                  Started on that basis.
                  Found out that it was actually supporting stuff, rather than delivering, so agreed to end the gig.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

If you have done nothing what is there to say on your CV, just leave it out

Comment

Working...
                    X