• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Way to Get Remoting Working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Way to Get Remoting Working

What is the the best way to get 100% remote working contracts apart from the usual route of applying to Jobserve etc?

Depends on your skill set, if you flip burgers it’s not going to work

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Plonitus View Post
      What is the the best way to get 100% remote working contracts apart from the usual route of applying to Jobserve etc?
      It really does depend on your skill set/industry. I know that some jobs are advertised as 100% remote, but how happy would the client be to contract someone that will basically be a ghost? It shouldn't really matter if you are delivering the goods. What I've learned in my short time contracting is that the client loves to see their resource on site at least 3 days a week.

As already mentioned though, this could completely vary depending on your job.

Comment

Supply and demand. If you can dictate the terms, that is one of the terms you can dictate. I guess some work simply cannot be conducted remotely, in principle, but I can't think of too many examples in professional services. It's probably easier at each extreme of the spectrum. On the low end, you have platform jobs (people per hour etc). On the high end, the contractor is in control. For the vast bulk in the middle, contractors have their terms dictated by the client, so you're at the whim of whatever WFH policy they dictate, if you want to work for them. So you could either slide down the pole or move up it, I guess

Comment

Doing the Needful always worked for me?
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

1. Seek out start-ups or rapidly expanding companies and offer them 'hotdesk solution consultancy' where you sell them the merits of reduced office space requirements per head of employee, demonstrating how current technology allows them to reduce their overheads while being seen as progressive in offering flexible working to their staff.

2. Go back to the company offering them your tier 2 service that you currently do, knowing that remote working (aka WFH) is now a fundamental part of how the client operates.

If step 1 proves to be a success then no need for step 2 as you've a new IR35 friendly service to provide.

Anyone on here already a 'hotdesk solution consultancy' or whatever the professional title is? Seems a simple niche service to get into. Plenty of potential clients too.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Apply for jobs that you see advertised on roundabouts and lamp posts
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
              X