• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent wants sole agency rights before the role is live

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent wants sole agency rights before the role is live

Hi all,

Agency tricks again. Had a couple of these lately, is this a new one?

Agent calls up about this great role, only problem is that it isn't live yet, no job reference, and all they have is a sample role description based on a similar one placed with the same client...
    They say something like:
    "the client is about to release the role, hopefully tomorrow or early next week and I want to get your CV across to them.
    Please send me your CV with authorisation for us to be the sole agency to represent you?"
    I choose no authorisation until the role is live, and ask them to call me back when it is.

I'm thinking its either:

A) The role is real. They want CVs ready to go, and block other agencies from getting in on specific CVs
    B) The role is fake. Just collecting fresh CVs
    ..Or just some other pointless and time-wasting exercise for the juniors to earn their stars.

If an agency tells me about the role first, they think of me and contact me first before other agencies , then I believe they deserve to be my sole agency for that role... they did the ground work, and found me suitable, and in any case you must not be submitted via several agencies... yes it maybe a trick to stop you applying through others against their candidates, but its a risk one needs to take, and frankly the second or third agency can also play this trick on you.

Just ask them to send you confirmation email that they have submitted you for the role.

Comment

So.. looking at the options..

A) The role is real. They want CVs ready to go, and block other agencies from getting in on specific CVs
      I think it's a very long shot to tie a contractor up so early just to stop them applying via other agencies. If you are that good they are worried you'll go to someone else then you'll be good enough to go forward. If you are decidedly average I can't see it being a good use of their time trying to tie every single contractor up that might apply, particularly if they aren't very good.
      B) The role is fake. Just collecting fresh CVs
      Is this really a problem? They can get them from jobserve and many others that allow you to upload your CV much quicker. So an agent has your CV. At worst you get the odd call from them in the future... but I doubt it.
      ..Or just some other pointless and time-wasting exercise for the juniors to earn their stars.
      There could be that... but what do you have to lose? A bit of time on the upside there might actually be a gig?

The one point I don't like about this is being put forward for a role when I don't know the client. I've never had that I don't think. I've had the secret squirrel about the client when preparing for submission but at the point my CV is with them and ready to go they've told me the client.

I wouldn't be comfortable allowing sole representation without knowing the client. I can't see any reason why this would need to happen. I can, however, understand a newbie agent being over protective but if you are the right person they should back down I would have thought.

Must admit in this case I'd think I would ask again who the client is and if they still aren't forthcoming I'd add a comment in my approval email saying you consent but as you are not being told who the client you reserve the right to change it should you have an issue with the client once know.... or something along those lines.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The role is real, play ball rather than trying to be difficult
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Or do you know who the client is?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Or do you know who the client is?
            Actually I did get a client name on this occasion, so I didn't bin it immediately.
            I read the JD, shared my CV, but not the authority.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
              Actually I did get a client name on this occasion, so I didn't bin it immediately.
              I read the JD, shared my CV, but not the authority.
              Hmm. If you got a client name I might have been tempted. What do you think you are gaining by not allowing them to be sole representative?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Hmm. If you got a client name I might have been tempted. What do you think you are gaining by not allowing them to be sole representative?
                Its not my style to give ground when nothing concrete was given in return.
                I know its probably not a big deal here, but just feels wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
                  Just ask them to send you confirmation email that they have submitted you for the role.
                  My thoughts too.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                    Its not my style to give ground when nothing concrete was given in return.
                    I know its probably not a big deal here, but just feels wrong.
                    Totally get that and good you are doing your diligence. I'm struggling to see what the benefits of playing hardball is in this situation when the downside is the possibility of losing the gig.

That said they wanted you so you've got some position power.

Comment

Working...
                    X