• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Afghanistan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afghanistan

Been approached about a dev role in Afghanistan with NATO.

Role is based at Bagram Air Base and you work on a 6 week on / 6 week off basis.

Anyone else worked out of there or looked into it? I'm quite tempted but I suspect that the entirety of the contract is going to be spent on the air base with little or no scope for getting out and experiencing the local culture.

The woman from the French agency did try and paint a rosier picture but I once you're out there it's probably going to be too late to change your mind.
    Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 17 September 2019, 20:40.

Go.
    it's marvellous, you'll love it.
    take a walk outside on your lunch break.
    magnificent scenery.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      Go.
      it's marvellous, you'll love it.
      take a walk outside on your lunch break.
      magnificent scenery.
      And then get kidnapped and accidently walk on a mine and blow your leg off.

Afghanistan is a lovely country but it's riddled with poverty crime and you are working out of a military base so will be a target.

Comment

Inneresting
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Comment

I turned it down on the basis that my life was worth more than double the Daily Rate...
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

This has got to be a troll post. Mods as usual are not up to their task.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                This has got to be a troll post. Mods as usual are not up to their task.
                No. It's real.

Dear Nigel,

would like to get in touch concerning an opening position on a major NATO project in Afghanistan.

We are currently searching for a consultant to join us as a FAS Data Manager, with a background in System administration and engineering, the role is much more like a software developer / system administrator. He/she has to meet with users and discuss their requirements, configures the connections (web services, rest, databases, etc.) and data transformations (xml, xsd, xslt) to make it happen. Communication, problem solving, and ingenuity skills are important.

The position requires you to have NATO secret/ SC Clearance.

The position is based on rotations of about 6 or 8 weeks on site/ 6 or 8 weeks on holidays.

If you are available and would like to learn more, please get back to me so that we can discuss the details.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                  I turned it down on the basis that my life was worth more than double the Daily Rate...
                  And what is a double rate worth if half of the time you're off?

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    And what is a double rate worth if half of the time you're off?
                    They pay for your off time also

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X