• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No Exit clause - Leaving early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    You're out in two months why even worry about it? If you can't face going in because of the stress phone in sick. Or better still have a friendly chat and tell them exactly what you said in your post. You never know you might be asked to take over from someone who is clearly struggling.
    Phone in sick? Really

Surely if he is asked to do that his outside Ir35 gig will start to look a bit shakey?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Phone in sick? Really

Surely if he is asked to do that his outside Ir35 gig will start to look a bit shakey?
      It's common courtesy to let some one know if your not going in for the day. Even contractors get sick! If they have to go through fit to return interviews or phone every day provide a sick not and the like then I agree they are on shakey ground. Of course just letting the client know you won't be on site works just as well! Not getting statutory sick pay would be a pointer to not being an employee, I'm unsure what weight would be given to that in a tribuneral, probably a minor point.

What do you do if you suddenly can't get on client site?
      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
        It's common courtesy to let some one know if your not going in for the day. Even contractors get sick! If they have to go through fit to return interviews or phone every day provide a sick not and the like then I agree they are on shakey ground. Of course just letting the client know you won't be on site works just as well! Not getting statutory sick pay would be a pointer to not being an employee, I'm unsure what weight would be given to that in a tribuneral, probably a minor point.

What do you do if you suddenly can't get on client site?
        If I'm sick I tell them I'm not coming in as I'm sick.
        If I don't want to go because it's just tulipty, I tell them "it's tulipty and I'm not coming in any more".

No point in being dishonest about it. That helps nobody.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by WLB2018 View Post
          Perhaps use your knowledge and experience to 'guide' the lead; do it in such a way they get the praise for the ideas, they will soon come around and value your input.
          I agree if its possible. I'd only do this if they hired you or if they have influence over recruitment and contract extensions. If the lead is permy and climbing the greasy pole, they'll need good experts to achieve this.
          I've put up with some of the most arrogant oddballs, but they had a budget and so long as they feel they've made a good hiring choice in you and you've raised their profile among peers and their management, they'll want to keep using you for the next project. If the rate, commute and everything else is great, its worth putting up with the odd grumpy outburst, or letting them feel like it was all their idea.

The controlling behaviour would put me off though. You've got to be able to deliver work using your own skill and technique. It doesn't sound like thats happening here, and if it wont change then it would be game over for me.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            If the lead is permy and climbing the greasy pole, they'll need good experts to achieve this.
            Not necessarily.

Never underestimate just how high a devious person can climb in some organisations by never actually achieving anything but having a good supply of meek idiots to blame for all the failures and brown-nosing the right higher-ups.

Comment

People are unleashing their experiences, and they are right, some places can be pretty tulipty...
              It all depends on your circumstances, skills, war chest if you are really ready to walk out.
              Just do some honest talking with yourself, talk with someone you trust. There is a lesson to be learned in any place, especially if is so twisted that you struggle to get your head around it.
              It might be eye opening or pushing you into depression... the only person knowing it it’s you.

Comment

Send a cya email to the supervisor raising some concerns about project not being on track but giving input for how to potentially resolve and say you would be happy to discuss also

Stash the email away somewhere safe (life a printed copy or a screenshot on your phone!)

Then keep on billing until the end. Line up something else for when you finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie1 View Post
                  Send a cya email to the supervisor raising some concerns about project not being on track but giving input for how to potentially resolve and say you would be happy to discuss also

Stash the email away somewhere safe (life a printed copy or a screenshot on your phone!)

Then keep on billing until the end. Line up something else for when you finish.
                  Hold on here. Hope you are not advising on telling the truth. They hate that tulip.
                  Giving constructive input while acknowledging the issue is good, i haven’t heard people being taken the legal route so it might not be of much use, and also people will not respond to such an e-mail. (couch ... tried it) . Scapegoats we’ve all been there one way or another, worst thing that you ca get is fired which we are comfortable with anyway... part and parcel

Comment

Its easy to say have a chat with and say your not happy but depending on the exact situation and how comfortable you find this it's not always easy. Most don't care to hear the truth and it can make things even worse if you end up staying after any chat.

Like someone else said think of every extra day as another day of money in your bank account. Take some time off, a day or even better a couple together a few times over the next few months it really helps break the time up a bit and helps get through the time quicker. You will lose money on those days but you will still gain overall if you get to the end compared to if you leave early.

Comment

Its only two months - just do the work, get paid and who cares beyond that...

Comment

Working...
                      X