• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No Exit clause - Leaving early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Exit clause - Leaving early

I started as an Analyst Programmer a month ago, and I find the the workplace awful. My team lead doesn't seem to have a clue but pretends to be an authority on the subject and controlling everyone around her. Some side with her too. I think she is going to spoil the project and at that stage she would blame it on others. Very stressful situation. There is no exit clause in the contract, I have 2 months left in the contract. How to exit?

Just speak to them and tell them what the score is. They won't want someone hanging around that doesn't want to be there so negotiate a situation that suits both parties. Something like you staying for an extra week or something while they find someone to take your place and then you leave.

If you do speak to them be prepared for the possibility of being walked on the spot though.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Abraham View Post
      . There is no exit clause in the contract, I have 2 months left in the contract. How to exit?
      There’s many ways to approach this. Talk to them being the first.

The last one is quite simple. They can’t make you turn up as you’re not a slave.

Somewhere in between is your answer. If the pleasant chat doesn’t work, I’d just tell them I’ve got another more important thing to do and leave.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I started as an Analyst Programmer a month ago, and I find the the workplace awful. My team lead doesn't seem to have a clue but pretends to be an authority on the subject and controlling everyone around her. Some side with her too. I think she is going to spoil the project and at that stage she would blame it on others. Very stressful situation. There is no exit clause in the contract, I have 2 months left in the contract. How to exit?
        Print out your post and read it word for word to your senior client contact.

Comment

Don't know the exact scale/gravity of the situation, but it looks to me that you need to be a bit more thick skinned if you hope to survive for long in the world of contracting.

The first question you should ask yourself is not whether there is a break clause in your contract, but do you have anything else lined up. At the current climate, throwing your toys out of the pram, might end up costly.

ClientCo is lacking expertise, so they have brought you in. Prove them that you have the expertise and make your voice heard. The worst that can do is they terminate your contract...

Comment

Keep working and invoicing- chill out man

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

We've all had contracts that are not great, be it for whatever reason. You need to become immune to this (thick skin), but there are other ways to deal with this.

Perhaps use your knowledge and experience to 'guide' the lead; do it in such a way they get the praise for the ideas, they will soon come around and value your input.

Just remember - every day is a billing day, get those time sheets signed and those invoices in - fundamentally that is all that matters

WLB

Comment

Originally posted by WLB2018 View Post
                We've all had contracts that are not great, be it for whatever reason. You need to become immune to this (thick skin), but there are other ways to deal with this.

Perhaps use your knowledge and experience to 'guide' the lead; do it in such a way they get the praise for the ideas, they will soon come around and value your input.

Just remember - every day is a billing day, get those time sheets signed and those invoices in - fundamentally that is all that matters

WLB
                Last para is excellent advice. I've had contracts I dislike but I've always found I can work one more day for a good rate.

Comment

I remember a tulipty project

I walked to the car park with my boss boss boss

He got into a tulipty vW tulip wagon

I got into my Porsche 911 turbo

I smiled and invoiced

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I started as an Analyst Programmer a month ago, and I find the the workplace awful. My team lead doesn't seem to have a clue but pretends to be an authority on the subject and controlling everyone around her. Some side with her too. I think she is going to spoil the project and at that stage, she would blame it on others. Very stressful situation. There is no exit clause in the contract, I have 2 months left in the contract. How to exit?
                    You're out in two months why even worry about it? If you can't face going in because of the stress phone in sick. Or better still have a friendly chat and tell them exactly what you said in your post. You never know you might be asked to take over from someone who is clearly struggling.
                    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Working...
                    X