• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone relocated abroad before?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have done so three years ago, re-settled in India and loving it. Followed my example, two other colleagues shifted back to India. Closed down Limited company, see off son's private school, hired a relocation company and all went well at end.

I think it was best decision for kids, they are well adjusted to rigorous school system in India after initial adjustment issues.

Now working after two years in India's silicone valley, back in Europe (Belgium) main land for time being for contract. Family does not want to return to Europe, only coming in school holidays. Myself travelling to India every eight weeks for two weeks, client is happy with this set-up. Probably will leave everything and go for early retirement soon, still 43 no debt, five fully paid properties (in different cities in India) and half a million sterling (converted to INR) cash in bank. Best thing in life, leaving UK permanently long before Brexit
    Last edited by Hat1rmathA; 24 September 2019, 11:14.

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
      Thanks, I'll check it out.

Looking at the forums it's all very specific Q&As, they don't seem to have a sticky explaining the actually process.

I was hoping that I might find a guide of some sort saying if you wanted to move from the UK to say, Canada as your example, then you'd create a CV, search canadian job boards for those offering sponsorship, find a job, apply, interview on skype, get accepted, await paperwork, move to canada. Or something like that. I'm sure the process is much more complex and there are nuances to working in IT over there. Perhaps you're supposed to go there first on a holiday visa to find work/sponsorship? Or if it's a country like Australia do you have to faff with their point system on your own to get some kind of visa before applying? Do you move there first?

But I can't seem to find such a guide. Everything on google is just crap like this The Beginner’s Guide to Moving and Working Abroad which is no help at all and just says working abroad is great [country] really wants people to move and work there.
      Have you tried contacting the embassies of the target countries and ask what your options are? From the horse's mouth etc.

If you are going to sell your home and buy several rental properties, don't close the ltd. but instead purchase the properties through it.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
        I've done NZ, Italy, Belgium, USA. In the case of NZ and US the work visa is your biggest stumbling block.

NZ is a great place. If you have any more precise questions let me know.

Good luck.
        Thanks I've been thinking NZ. Did you go there via holiday visa then search for sponsorship, or have something lined up in advance?

I'm thinking it's my most likely option atm

Comment

Originally posted by Hat1rmathA View Post
          Have done so three years ago, re-settled in India and loving it. Best thing in life, leaving UK permanently long before Brexit
          yep.
          best thing you ever did.
          byby

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            yep.
            best thing you ever did.
            byby
            Don't get too excited. He has already setup an offshore centre and wont be long before coming after your contracting role next April.

Comment

The type of role I perform is senior. In the past I have worked abroad for months at a time, sometimes relocating.

You need to ask yourself what you really want from your adventure. Do you like to travel, enjoying the outdoors? I had a quick look at some of your past posts and I do not think you're in a senior role. I think you're a mid-level engineer, of sorts.

What is your complaint about working inside IR35? If the contractor community were smart they would unilaterally raise inside IR35 rates, but it only takes a few idiots to accept the lower rates and then the tide has turned forever.

One thing I would object to with inside IR35 is: you are paying significantly more income tax (technically, rather than explicitly) and yet England in particular is in a hell of a state. I genuinely do not see taxes, under the Tory party, transforming into better condition of the state of affairs in England.

If you want the highest quality food, people and colleagues then go to Stockholm. You can even base yourself in Malmo to then work in Copenhagen or Oslo, where rates are higher. In this scenario you will be operating there are the equivalent of a contractor, also paying high tax, but reaping the visible rewards of societies with almost zero homeless people in doorways, good quality services and all the benefits. My advice is to try it at least once.

I am very concerned that your ideas seem notional in matter: New Zealand - have you been? Are you aware that excluding the outdoors it's a country with a huge amount of problems? Working there was an eye opening for me. I wouldn't work there again, but I have high standards.

My final advice is this: Get up off your bum and book cheap multitrip flights to Sweden, hire a car and head to Norway and/or Denmark. Look at map, as this will help you instantly recognise roughly what the weather will be like throughout the year. Copenhagen is warmer and wetter than Oslo, as is likely obvious to you.

It is only by going there, being bold, and asking around that you will get a feel for the places. If you are single with no dependents then why haven't you done this already? With technology and ferries/flights you can easily get back to England for visits and keep in touch with your old friends. Your friends will be keen to visit you out there for one simple reason: very few people have much experience of these three countries because they are expensive.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                What is your complaint about working inside IR35? If the contractor community were smart they would unilaterally raise inside IR35 rates, but it only takes a few idiots to accept the lower rates and then the tide has turned forever.
                If clients were smart they'd up the inside IR35 rates to attract independent contractors rather than get fleeced by the consultancies and body shops many seem to be turning to. That tide may change when they realise the cost of trying to mitigate the risk that way.

Like the rest of your post though, you aced it.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                  I'd get a wfh contract and then get an Airbnb for a few months.

I did this recently, ended up living in Villefranche sur mer for two months. Starting the working day with a swim and a snorkel really was the beans.
                  How did you find the wfh contract?

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
                    How did you find the wfh contract?
                    Well, in truth mine was not specifically a wfh contract. But it was a contract where the client firmly believed in remote working. Indeed there is a sign on the barrier to the staff parking which says, 'If you do not need to be here, disappear'.

I just decided to see how remote, remote could be.

I didn't mention to anyone, no one knew. I figured if there was a F2F meeting required, I would fly from and to Nice in the day. Never was such a meeting required so my working day started at 10am local time after the swim and coffee. In the afternoons when work could be conducted just off the phone, we went up and down the Cote d'Azur to Antibes, Menton and Monaco etc.

I will be honest, it was really quite difficult to come home.

I am thinking a similar trip will be required.

Comment

Has anyone relocated abroad before?

Yes several times

Comment

Working...
                      X