• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone relocated abroad before?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of binning off contracting for a bit.

I will either look for a WFH job (perm) and see if I can stay for a month or so in various countries in Europe (cos of the time zones) or maybe relocate somewhere like Canada or New Zealand for 6-12 months and work locally.

I've had a look on google about the latter, but it's hard to find actual forum-discussion based info.

Anyone know where I might look to learn what it involves? Do you just grab a tourist visa, and start looking for companies to sponsor you then leave & come back? Or is there a way to get sponsorship in advance?

I'm also going to ask a few pimps if WFH perm jobs are an actual thing.

What do you reckon?

I've had a look on google about the latter, but it's hard to find actual forum-discussion based info.
    It is? There appear to be plenty....

Canada - British Expats

Canada Expat Forum for Expats Living in Canada - Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad

Canada forum, forum expat Canada

Tons of other sites that aren't forums that have been written by ex pats.

What do you reckon?
    If you are struggling with finding some stuff on the web the rest of it might be a bit too hard for you.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Have a look for 'digital nomad' blogs for inspiration and info on what it really entails.

I've seen some vacancies offering 100% remote work but no idea if they're fishing trips as the client location seems to change depending on the advert i.e. same agency putting out same advert covering different geographic searches but the client just happens to be in that region. Seems a big fishy.

If there really is a dearth of useful info then that's a potential plan B to provide that info for donations or selling an in depth ebook to help fund the lifestyle.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Looking at the forums it's all very specific Q&As, they don't seem to have a sticky explaining the actually process.

I was hoping that I might find a guide of some sort saying if you wanted to move from the UK to say, Canada as your example, then you'd create a CV, search canadian job boards for those offering sponsorship, find a job, apply, interview on skype, get accepted, await paperwork, move to canada. Or something like that. I'm sure the process is much more complex and there are nuances to working in IT over there. Perhaps you're supposed to go there first on a holiday visa to find work/sponsorship? Or if it's a country like Australia do you have to faff with their point system on your own to get some kind of visa before applying? Do you move there first?

But I can't seem to find such a guide. Everything on google is just crap like this The Beginner’s Guide to Moving and Working Abroad which is no help at all and just says working abroad is great [country] really wants people to move and work there.
        Last edited by FIERCE TANK BATTLE; 23 September 2019, 16:42.

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
          I have - did it 17 years ago, and took the family with me. Still here (Switzerland).
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Looking at the forums it's all very specific Q&As, they don't seem to have a sticky explaining the actually process.

I was hoping that I might find a guide of some sort saying if you wanted to move from the UK to say, Canada as your example, then you'd create a CV, search canadian job boards for those offering sponsorship, find a job, apply, interview on skype, get accepted, await paperwork, move to canada. Or something like that. I'm sure the process is much more complex and there are nuances to working in IT over there. Perhaps you're supposed to go there first on a holiday visa to find work/sponsorship? Or if it's a country like Australia do you have to faff with their point system on your own to get some kind of visa before applying? Do you move there first?

But I can't seem to find such a guide. Everything on google is just crap like this The Beginner’s Guide to Moving and Working Abroad which is no help at all and just says working abroad is great [country] really wants people to move and work there.
            ever thought of just going somewhere and winging it?

or maybe just stay with your mum.
            it's hard living on pot noodles and asking people for shoelace tying help.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              ever thought of just going somewhere and winging it?

or maybe just stay with your mum.
              it's hard living on pot noodles and asking people for shoelace tying help.
              Yes, that is what I am thinking of now. But I would probably be better off financially selling my house and buying something easier to rent out, perhaps buying 2-3 flats in a cheaper part of the country closer to family that can keep an eye on them. I'd also have to wind up the LTD. It would be a huge undertaking. This is why I am trying to understand the usual process :-)

Comment

Find jobsites advertising vacancies in Canada or wherever interests you then ring their pimps up to see if they accept foreigners and if so what the process is. It may be that simple.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I'd get a wfh contract and then get an Airbnb for a few months.

I did this recently, ended up living in Villefranche sur mer for two months. Starting the working day with a swim and a snorkel really was the beans.

Comment

Thinking of binning off contracting for a bit.

I will either look for a WFH job (perm) and see if I can stay for a month or so in various countries in Europe (cos of the time zones) or maybe relocate somewhere like Canada or New Zealand for 6-12 months and work locally.

Anyone know where I might look to learn what it involves? Do you just grab a tourist visa, and start looking for companies to sponsor you then leave & come back? Or is there a way to get sponsorship in advance?

I'm also going to ask a few pimps if WFH perm jobs are an actual thing.

What do you reckon?
                    I've done NZ, Italy, Belgium, USA. In the case of NZ and US the work visa is your biggest stumbling block.

NZ is a great place. If you have any more precise questions let me know.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X