• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strange client restrictions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange client restrictions

Hi Folks,

Started a new contract yesterday; was given the usual Health & Safety tour, which ended at the kitchen area - where I was told that as a contractor I was not permitted to use the drink making facilities, I would need to bring my own tea/coffee/milk sugar!

Never come across this before, anyone else ever come across strange client restrictions?

Feel free to move this if it is best placed elsewhere.

WLB

nope. Never.

get it in writing and file in your 'IR35 evidence' folder. It's only a weak pointer, but it's still evidence.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Did they ask you to bring your own bog roll too?

Comment

The permies may have some sort of coffee club going where they share the cost of restocking the kitchen, or der management (Hale and Pace reference for the oldies) may have some bee in their bonnet about contractors not using the permie facilities.

I expect they have a separate coffee/tea facility for any business guests and management so see if you can use that. Worse case scenario you sort yourself out and don't have to bother about asking the permies if they want a brew when you go to make yours (having a stash of tea/coffee in your desk) seeing as you are excluded from their 'club'. Personally I'd class that as a win.

See if there's a decent coffee outlet on the way in to the client so you can turn up with a proper cup of coffee each morning and a grin like a cheshire cat.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
          Did they ask you to bring your own bog roll too?
          Hmm not yet, best not ask just in case...dont want to get caught short!

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
          The permies may have some sort of coffee club going where they share the cost of restocking the kitchen, or der management (Hale and Pace reference for the oldies) may have some bee in their bonnet about contractors not using the permie facilities.

I expect they have a separate coffee/tea facility for any business guests and management so see if you can use that. Worse case scenario you sort yourself out and don't have to bother about asking the permies if they want a brew when you go to make yours (having a stash of tea/coffee in your desk) seeing as you are excluded from their 'club'. Personally I'd class that as a win.

See if there's a decent coffee outlet on the way in to the client so you can turn up with a proper cup of coffee each morning and a grin like a cheshire cat.
          I checked this morning, no coffee club, just company policy, employees and guests only.

Luckily there is a Starbucks and Costa closeby.

WLB

Comment

Originally posted by WLB2018 View Post
            Have it Deliverooed (sp?) to your desk.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by WLB2018 View Post

WLB
              I wouldn't describe that as "luckily". But then I prefer coffee
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Never come across that one before. Don't suppose you wish to name the client?

I'd just come in and rearrange your desk to fit your nespresso machine and plate of chocolate Florentines.

And then instigate your own contractors' policy...

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  I wouldn't describe that as "luckily". But then I prefer coffee
                  Better than nothing, but I know what you mean

Originally posted by simes View Post
                  Never come across that one before. Don't suppose you wish to name the client?

I'd just come in and rearrange your desk to fit your nespresso machine and plate of chocolate Florentines.

And then instigate your own contractors' policy...
                  Spooky, there are two other contractors here (they are working in HR) and have done exactly that. Might have to chip in with them

Comment

Some weird clients out there. Had one who had a "contractors area" for desks which was a bit strange....

Also, this particular client had a policy that contractors weren't allowed to leave site at lunchtime (but permes were). Ummm do one.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X