• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BPSS check with a criminal record

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BPSS check with a criminal record

Hi All,

A job I have applied for will first require a BPSS check and then the SC Clearance. Unfortunately I have a criminal record which will show up on the BPSS check. I understand that I can still get SC Clearance if I declare everything but how doe this work for the BPSS check?

Just complete the form. You are over thinking it.

Quick exit...
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
      Just complete the form. You are over thinking it.

Quick exit...
      Thank you for the reply. My thought process was that for SC Clearance the vetting officer is external to the company....but for the BPSS the company would receive the results and decide if they want to keep me on?

*edit* Was that the joke? Quick Exit?
      Last edited by whatdo2019; 24 September 2019, 10:13.

Comment

So, I've done some research and if my conviction is spent then I do not need to declare it. I was found with recreational drugs at a festival, taken to court and 'fined' .....apparently if i was fined then the conviction is 'spent' after 1 year.

Comment

Originally posted by whatdo2019 View Post
          So, I've done some research and if my conviction is spent then I do not need to declare it. I was found with recreational drugs at a festival, taken to court and 'fined' .....apparently if i was fined then the conviction is 'spent' after 1 year.
          declare it anyway.

Were they good drugs?

Comment

I have friends with convictions for the aforementioned 'crime', all 3 have never had any issues getting professional jobs.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. My thought process was that for SC Clearance the vetting officer is external to the company....but for the BPSS the company would receive the results and decide if they want to keep me on?
              Some IT service providers like DXC do the BPSS themselves but national clearance is run through the UKSV, BPSS is always the baseline of SC clearence for the process to start. Your end client will always have a local vetting unit which communicates with the UKSV and handles all vetting related matters, do not think they are firewalled off from each other and won't share information and they have complete discretion whever or not they choose to put you through SC as it isn't the most cheapest thing to under go.

BPSS just contains a bog standard DBS check and won't show up spent convictions however SC checks will show any criminal record you might have regardless if it was spent/unspent.

Just to make you gently aware that different government bodies have different policies/attitudes towards regarding vetting, first and foremost talk to the vetting unit about this and ask for guidance on the matter.

Bearing in mind what you disclose to vetting is strictly confidential and can't be discussed outside of vetting, your line manager at the end client will be informed by vetting why for example you have failed but they won't disclose full details and simply inform your agency that you haven't passed vetting.

Comment

Ok, there is more to my story. So 4+ years ago, when I was convicted and fined for possession of drugs I held security clearance at the time. I was then transferring to another company. So, I transferred company and my clearance went with it. I was fine for 1.5 years and I assume checks were made. I then left the company and have not had clearance for 3 years.

Will I be able to get SC Clearance or not a hope in hell?

Comment

Ok, there is more to my story. So 4+ years ago, when I was convicted and fined for possession of drugs I held security clearance at the time. I was then transferring to another company. So, I transferred company and my clearance went with it. I was fine for 1.5 years and I assume checks were made. I then left the company and have not had clearance for 3 years.

As said above, you just have to go for it and find out. No-one can say one way or another, there is no hard and fast rule. You just have to be honest and don't try to cover it up.

Comment

As I mentioned earlier this would be a matter for you to discuss with vetting, if you didn't fill in a change in personal circumstances form while the transfer went through when the conviction happened; be prepared for a very thorny session with a vetting officer and possibly a interview.

If this wasn't picked up at your new company who took on the SC then I'd be personally wary but if you haven't had any other convictions after the original posession charge then chances are you might be fine and just try and apply.

Only other thing I can think of is that the new company were prepared to take the risk assessment that you were criminally charged but otherwise you could be trusted, remember vetting doesn't ask us to be law-abiding angels (except if you are a goody-two shoes like me and run off to work with the police) it's about wherever or not they can trust you and that you are not a security risk.

Comment

Working...
                    X