• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's an accountant's reference?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's an accountant's reference?

For my background check I need a reference from my accountant.

Any idea what goes into this? Is it just a letter saying something like I've been employed as an accountant for fierce tank battle from x to y. Or do they need to put other details in?

Ask your accountant

Generally, they confirm how long you have been trading, how long they have been your accountant for, and your last year or two's turnover (that bit varies).

All I do when asked for one of them is email my accountant and cc whoever is asking and instruct my accountant to provide the asker with whatever information they need. Saves me then getting the request wrong and having to / fro with clarification questions.

Comment

Say you don’t have an accountant - job done

Drone box ticking exercise by agent doing checks never asked for by end client

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Nah this is for security clearance so needed

Will ask accountant for the above, a letter confirming dates worked

Comment

I was asked for this for my new gig. So I asked my accountant and he said OK, give them my details. What did your accountant say?
          Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

If the check is related to finance then the reference may be to confirm your income claims as a look into any debt or solvency issues.

I just let my accountant know they may be asked for a reference (the paperwork I've filled in in the past asks for my accountant contact details rather than trusting me to provide a non-forged reference) and they are well used to giving such so no probs.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post

This should definitely work.
              "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                Definitely needed one to get my airside pass last year. Not sure what they would have done if I said I didn't have an accountant.

Comment

I can offer some insight here, since my gf was my accountant the last time this was asked.

They literally just asked her to confirm I was director of said company, and that I'd been operating since my incorporation date. Nothing else.

Particularly pointless since this information would have been publicly verifiable on companies house. It might be an incitement for your accountant to volunteer something if you're a particularly bad risk, but doesn't seem to be asked explicitly.

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
                    This should definitely work.
                    Or it can backfire spectacularly, given that's it's a bad idea to lie on a SC application form...

Comment

Working...
                    X