• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Spy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Spy

Has anyone tried Contract Spy out? There is one thread about them on the forum back in 2016. If they are still going then it shows they have at least some longevity. Could be a jobserve direct contract scraping service I guess but has anyone actually subscribed to them and got anywhere?

Wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

There is a site called contractonlyjobs which doesn't deal with direct gigs but that's a pile of rubbish as well. There is a button to filter contract jobs in the search... Wtf??

Anything scraped can't be worth it. If you are looking you should be on the same places they scrape from so should be able to spot them.

It would be worth finding out who the company is and check out their filing history.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

They are up for an award at the contractor awards next month under best contractor innovation. Bearing in mind scraping is not new and they've been going since 2016 they don't have a snowballs chance.

Comment

£250 a year!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          They are up for an award at the contractor awards next month under best contractor innovation. Bearing in mind scraping is not new and they've been going since 2016 they don't have a snowballs chance.
          I guess if they were even mildly successful in the past three years they would be a known quantity on here so I think I will save time looking into them.

There are project bidding sites like Talmix that look a bit more promising. They have a number of projects currently but not loads. Quite a lot of them offsite/remote which is good for wfh. I made a speculative bid for one, but in general not convinced Talmix is worth any time or effort as a contractor either.

Comment

I signed up to their 'daily digest' and they do seem to have quite a lot of contract job posts, but are from all over the UK, and looks like scraped job posts:-

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/job-list...72&srs=EI_JOBS

Software Developer at Liquidnet, London, GBPContract Rate | Contract Spy

So then presumably they get CV's in, separate the wheat from the chaff, then approach the company and try to sell the candidate in for a finders fee on successful interview?

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
              So then presumably they get CV's in, separate the wheat from the chaff, then approach the company and try to sell the candidate in for a finders fee on successful interview?
              What a coincidence, I just signed up the other day AFTER reading that they were shortlisted for an award and BEFORE reading this thread. As far as I can tell, they don't do what the poster above said, I think it's just links to contracting ads they have scraped. Some of the links go straight to the client company recruitment page, others go to a link on a jobsite. So far, it seems that the only contracts they link to on a jobsite are ones that have been posted directly by the client co. Contractspy isn't collecting CVs as far as I can tell. They seem to just make money of subscriptions.

So far, I'm on the fence about whether or not to cancel the subscription after one month. It has certainly provided me with some contract possibilities that I wouldn't have otherwise found because they were on some random client recruitment page. And if one of those came through and we could cut the pimp out of the picture then we all win. On the other hand, the links are for all over the country and all kinds of contracts, so it does take some scrolling through stuff that's not useful to me.

It's only day 3 so I'll see how it goes in the next few weeks.
              Last edited by hairymouse; 4 October 2019, 15:11. Reason: they didn't win an award

Comment

What award have they won? They are shortlisted for the CUK awards in Nov but don't have a scoobies.

Comment

What award have they won? They are shortlisted for the CUK awards in Nov but don't have a scoobies.
                  You are probably correct. I'll take your word for it and edit my post.

Comment

CUK awards?

helloooooooooooooo

Comment

Working...
                    X