• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Subcontracting an individual

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subcontracting an individual

Hi,

I have a client which I am about to agree for a contract role. I am planning to then subcontract the work to an individual. This individual doesn't have a ltd company. Is it fine if I make the contract with the client via my ltd company and just subcontract the work to him and he just invoices to my company individually without any other company involved in?

Originally posted by kembljoe View Post
    Hi,

I have a client which I am about to agree for a contract role. I am planning to then subcontract the work to an individual. This individual doesn't have a ltd company. Is it fine if I make the contract with the client via my ltd company and just subcontract the work to him and he just invoices to my company individually without any other company involved in?
    Is this individual set up as a sole trader?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Is this individual set up as a sole trader?
      Not yet but can be a sole trader if it is easier for him to manage the accountancy than directing a separate limited company?

Comment

Beyond the usual concerns of sub contracting, (your reputation, cashflow etc), the additional risk with a sole trader as opposed to a limited company is that yourco would be liable for taxes if subby fails to pay up.

Comment

We just had this thread: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ne-trader.html

Comment

I had a sub come in to cover my absence for a few days. He didn't have a company (he did in the past but is retired now) so I just asked him to invoice me under his personal name and then I paid the remittance into his personal bank account. I made it clear (in writing) that his taxes were his responsibility.

However, this was a only a short stint and so I wasn't bothered about the comeback on taxes etc. I was more looking at the Substitute angle as another string on my bow against an IR35 attack from HMRC.

Comment

Working...
            X