• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Turned into a Nightmare

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Turned into a Nightmare

I'm new here and hoping to get some advice.

I have been contracting for about 4 years and on my 4th contract. I work at a pretty senior level and the roles I do are well paid and few and far between. The current role was perfect - local, good money, perfect for my experience and a great boss to work for. The MD of the company was very easy going, but after a couple of months he left and was replaced with a character who was completely the opposite. He immediately asked for me to work for him which was flattering and fine initially.

I have now been in the role 6 months (of a 9 month contract). The MD is under a great deal of pressure I am sure, but has very poor people skills and has turned into a bully who undermines me in front of the rest of his team at regular opportunities. I am good at what I do and have always had great feedback in the past, but his constant put downs are making me doubt my abilities, dread the next encounter with him and my stress levels have gone through the roof. I am struggling to concentrate on the work as I am always fearful of making the wrong step and live in a permanent state of anxiety. There are no other contractors at my level and I am sure that if I voiced my concerns to the MD or HR I would just be shown the door - is there any obligation for the company to be concerned with the mental wellbeing of contractors?

I know I am a sensitive sole and it would be great if I could just toughen up, but I'm in my 50's and always been like this, so I don't see myself changing much!

I cant afford to just quit especially with the Brexit situation and IR35 concerns next year - really don't know where to turn - any advice or similar experiences would be very much appreciated.

The one thing I have found about contracting is that it isn't knowing every single thing about your skill set it is backing yourself up or standing up for yourself when someone questions you or your work.

Whether that means a full on slanging match in a meeting or a quiet word in their shell like, or over a few beers in the pub that is up to you.

Either you walk away or find some balls and "have a word". The worst thing to do is do nothing.

Good luck.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grass Is Greener View Post
      I cant afford to just quit especially with the Brexit situation and IR35 concerns next year - really don't know where to turn - any advice or similar experiences would be very much appreciated.
      Then don't just quite - find a new role and then quit.

What has HR to do with you? You are relationship with the client are supposed to be B2B. If you have mental health issues seek professional help/advise, preferably private, as NHS is abysmal in that regard.

Comment

A beautifully written story, full of context, history, honesty and prose.

I would love to offer something commensurate in style and content but am not sure what else there is to say other than;

1. Review your notice period
        2. Find another role

Comment

Well most of us contract for the ability to get away from toxic roles but you've closed the door on the only option you've got besides growing some and getting on with it.

IMO it's only gong to get worse so for you own sanity you are going to have to make the jump at sometime. People are the hardest to change and you are only a temp resource at the end of the day so only so much you can do before you get the push.

As much as you don't like to, I'd be getting ready for an exit at some point in the near future.

I've been in a gig I hated and ended up leaving on the spot. Looking back it was the best thing I ever did.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I find it really easy to let this behaviour just wash over my head (and dismissed a second later), just smile and carry on invoicing and count the big pile of cash

Or leave and sit in the house and get panic attacks about getting another contract

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              I find it really easy to let this behaviour just wash over my head (and dismissed a second later), just smile and carry on invoicing and count the big pile of cash

Or leave and sit in the house and get panic attacks about getting another contract

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
              If you've ever met Traby then you'd know this is completely true.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Grass Is Greener View Post
                I have now been in the role 6 months (of a 9 month contract).
                If you can't put up with it for three months and bench-time isn't an option then I would start looking for another contract.

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago but had a no-notice contract so had to live with the nonsense for a further 6 months.
                It is difficult to deal with but if you feel the situation is likely to deteriorate or has already become intolerable, walking may be the best option for you.

I hope things work out well.

Comment

Originally posted by pictavia View Post
                  If you can't put up with it for three months and bench-time isn't an option then I would start looking for another contract.

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago but had a no-notice contract so had to live with the nonsense for a further 6 months.
                  It is difficult to deal with but if you feel the situation is likely to deteriorate or has already become intolerable, walking may be the best option for you.

I hope things work out well.
                  Thanks Pictavia, I wish I could just tough it out, but I wonder if I’m just too old for this game! Have definitely started looking, but don’t think they’ll be anything in October with all the Brexit rubbish. I read somewhere that there’s a backlog of contractor roles not released until this is sorted out. Just hoping things pick up one way or the other. Either way I’m going to try to ‘grow a pair’ as someone in this thread suggested.

Comment

The MD may not know what effect he's having, if he did you'd hope he wouldn't be doing it. Instead of going for a direct confrontation which may make him go defensive, you could say some thing like 'my wife / friend is having issues with their boss, he keeps putting them down in front of people, what do you think they should do?'. The other option is to consider every put down / bad interaction from him as a 'gift', you can decide whether you accept that gift or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X