• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Turned into a Nightmare

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously nothing is worth damaging your mental health for so start looking for something else. Your coming up to the 3 month run out now which will fly by and allow you to fixate on surviving the last few months. Otherwise accept there are somethings you can't change in the role and smile and nod while clocking up how much you're billing this clown while he rants and raves.
    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

I feel your pain .. but we do this job on a B2B basis ...

Leave if possible if not hold it out for a couple of months and within the last few weeks voice your concerns to him .. at least you can leave think of the permies

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

I've been in a similar situation as you in my late 40s. I'm generally a very easy going person but have had to toughen up over the last six years since I started contracting. It's a fact of working life that some people will be bullies or sociopaths, treat people badly or are just difficult to work with.

Maybe you could ask the MD for some feedback next time he puts your down and if he has no evidence or facts to back him up, I would politely push back and challenge him. He might not even be that self aware that he's acting like this. If he's feeling pressure, is there anything you can do to help him? He might respond positively.

Or is there another senior person you get on well with who you could enlist the support of as an ally? I had to do that once at a client and eventually ended up being taken out of the line of fire and given a new project which I ended up really enjoying.

If you can't address this head on in some fashion due to fear, you need to consider if you can operate at such a senior level long term. People who are Director level generally didn't get there by being shy, retiring wallflowers. They are usually driven and demanding. Some are pleasant about it, some aren't.

And don't bother speaking to HR. You're not an employee and they are unlikely to back you in any conflict with the MD.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
          And don't bother speaking to HR. You're not an employee and they are unlikely to back you in any conflict with the MD.
          I'd agree with this, but... is he doing the same to any permanent members of staff that you could encourage to go to HR to raise their own issues with him?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            I'd agree with this, but... is he doing the same to any permanent members of staff that you could encourage to go to HR to raise their own issues with him?
            I suppose he could try that. I worked on a large consulting assignment where the Managing Consultant was being unreasonable with quite a lot of the other consultants. Everyone was too junior/scared to raise it until two of the senior consultants got together and raised it with the Partner who was in charge overall. In that case it worked, so maybe strength in numbers is an option.

OP, it might help if you could tell us the type/size of company?

Comment

Personally if someone attacked my work on a professional level and it was unfair then I would see this as a very serious matter and immediately have it out with them. I am there on a B2B basis and if my work is being questioned by the client then its needs resolving asap. The outcome of that conversation is the issue being resolved or me out of the door as I can't work on a B2B if the client is unhappy and is never going to be happy.

If you are stuck for financial reasons then find another contract ASAP and the exercise any notice period in the contract.

Either way, you only have three months left on the gig - you can't extent to be honest in the current climate. Make sure you stockpile money to enable an exit soon. Lesson to learn is you need a war chest in this game so you can exit companies and you can take breaks from the market when no work is forthcoming.

By the way I am also sensitive, I also don't like conflict, I am no alpha male type. The idea you have to "grow a set" to do this job is nonsense. But you do need options to move on when required and you do need to be prepared to have a difficult conversation and ultimately move on when you are in the wrong place.

Good luck
              Last edited by dx4100; 9 October 2019, 08:27.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Well most of us contract for the ability to get away from toxic roles but you've closed the door on the only option you've got besides growing some and getting on with it.

IMO it's only gong to get worse so for you own sanity you are going to have to make the jump at sometime. People are the hardest to change and you are only a temp resource at the end of the day so only so much you can do before you get the push.

As much as you don't like to, I'd be getting ready for an exit at some point in the near future.

I've been in a gig I hated and ended up leaving on the spot. Looking back it was the best thing I ever did.
                Ahaha! If only more people understood this is why contractors like contracting. Honestly, this is the major benefit of it, moreso than the additional money (which doesn't hurt of course).

OP, lots of sensible advice on here. It's never worth risking with one's mental & physical health, so long as you can manage financially for a few months. The market seems to be picking up a little at last too.

Re having to 'grow a pair' or be tough-minded to do this job: I've had conversations with a couple of agents who think anyone with a contract history must be tough as nails and therefore would survive the role in the 'challenging environment' they have on their books. Not so for many of us and even if you could get through it, why should you have to unless there is a financial imperative.
                Last edited by LadyPenelope; 9 October 2019, 08:35.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
                  Ahaha! If only more people understood this is why contractors like contracting. Honestly, this is the major benefit of it, moreso than the additional money (which doesn't hurt of course).

OP, lots of sensible advice on here. It's never worth risking with one's mental & physical health, so long as you can manage financially for a few months. The market seems to be picking up a little at last too.

I get really annoyed when people say I do this just for tax breaks and money - its probably about 3rd and 4th on the list!!! ....then I go back to drinking my champagne lunch...
                  Last edited by dx4100; 9 October 2019, 08:40.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                    I get really annoyed when people say I do this just for tax breaks and money - its probably about 3rd and 4th on the list and then I go back to drinking my champagne lunch...
                    Haha! We do kind of get used to being better off. which goes some way to explain their reluctance to hire us for permanent jobs.

It's worth standing up to the person, but this can go either way: some people will forever respect you and others will never forgive you. It's often worthwhile though in terms of self-respect.

Comment

Thanks for all the support on here. To give you context it’s a PE company in the financial services industry. The board are very short term and money motivated, which I understand, but it does drive a toxic environment. You learn something in every contract, for me, PE is not for me I guess.

One thing I’ve found is that it’s such a small world in my field, so much as I’d like to shout back and storm out of this one, the market isn’t great and I don’t think I have enough to last a long gap, but more importantly for me, my reputation has been hard fought for over many years. Wouldn’t take much for this MD to put the word out and destroy that.

That said, I really have no choice but to endure for the next 2/3 months and then not renew, but hope another opportunity presents in the meantime.

Comment

Working...
                      X